Temporary yard

Reaction score
So, we've recently moved into a new (to us) rental with a huge fenced in yard. However, we move a lot and we know for sure that once my husband finishes with school that we'll be moving again, hopefully to somewhere a little more permanent. We have this giant yard now, though and I just really want to garden. I'm a novice for sure, though so I feel like by the time I learned to do anything (and then seasons passing etc), it will be time to move again. I'm guessing we'll be here for two years, give or take a few months. Would you put much effort into it or maybe just use transportable gardening? I really like fairy gardens so I was thinking of making one of those. I'd also like to plant tulips on the edge of the house and then maybe do some edible gardening of some sort.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Even if you leave the garden/gardens behind in a couple of years, you'll take the knowledge gained with you.
Perhaps putting in annual flowers, planting easy vegetables like leaf lettuces, radishes, green beans, and squash would scratch your gardening itch and provide you with both beauty and edibles.

Reaction score
So, we've recently moved into a new (to us) rental with a huge fenced in yard. However, we move a lot and we know for sure that once my husband finishes with school that we'll be moving again, hopefully to somewhere a little more permanent. We have this giant yard now, though and I just really want to garden. I'm a novice for sure, though so I feel like by the time I learned to do anything (and then seasons passing etc), it will be time to move again. I'm guessing we'll be here for two years, give or take a few months. Would you put much effort into it or maybe just use transportable gardening? I really like fairy gardens so I was thinking of making one of those. I'd also like to plant tulips on the edge of the house and then maybe do some edible gardening of some sort.

To be honest if you are going to be somewhere for two years there really is no reason as to why you can't have a garden - if you want to - especially as you may well be moving to somewhere more permanent at the end of that time and could take many of your plants with you.

As there are numerous things that you can do in that time - such as growing soft fruits and vegetables for instance - which would be a reward in itself - as they would give you a plentiful supply of fresh fruit and vegetables and as they are annuals you wouldn't have to worry about moving them - as they die down at the end of the season each year and if wanting ornamental plants - you don't need to stick with annuals either - as there are many ornamental shrubs, perennial plants, grasses and bulbs that could be easily dug up and transported when you move and if you didn't actually want to plant things in the ground there is an abundance of choice of both edible and ornamental plants that will happily grow in pots and containers too - the latter of which would be an ideal way of having a fairy garden too - especially as there are some wonderful ideas for creating container fairy gardens these days.

So in a nutshell and to put it simply - there is no reason why the fact that you will be moving again in a couple of years should stop you from doing what you want to do - so go for it and enjoy it :)

Reaction score
Two years is plenty of time, if I were you tho I'd focus mostly on edibles, but I guess you could try your luck with some annual flowers. Just in case you don't feel like you are leaving something behind once you move.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
If I were you, I'd plant some pretty flowers and a lot of yummy vegetables. There are so many things you can do in two years. Don't hesitate. Gardening is a lot of fun:)

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I really just need to dive in, I think. I've been toying with the idea of starting to garden for years and I'm just really intimidated. I guess I'll never stop being new until I start trying it!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Two years is plenty time to have a very pretty garden. You must decide what type of garden you plan to have just flowers or both flowers and vegetables. Then you decide where to place the garden and get started. When the time comes to more you may be able to take small part of the garden with you and you have gained experience. Have fun.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Pots make great portable gardens. Check out the free pots zone of recycle places or Craigslist. Five gallon buckets are also great with holes drilled in the bottoms. A couple of cans of your favorite color of spray paint and you can have presentable containers. Then when you move you will have good sized perennials to carry along to your next home.

Remember annuals are only for one growing season so you could only enjoy them one year anyway.

Even though we have a permanent home I grew in pots this summer. I was redoing the veggie garden this spring and planted in free pots for our runner beans (made some trellis), edible pod peas and kale. Since I planted the kale in with the beans/peas after the beans/peas were finished I now have the kale for fall and wintering harvests in the same pots.

Ask a Question