Tell me about Solar LED battery Shed Lights

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am gonna have to run a remote wire off to the yard because the sheds sit inside the treeline and are shaded more than half the year. I imagine line losses will be invoved.

The sheds are not big, 10x20f and 12x20f. I was thinking to use 4 foot fixtures What kind of controller and other details should I know? I am using car batteries because sometimes I need them for portable winches or my 25 gallon sprayer pump.

Specs for systems and panels are making my eyes blur. Where can I learn more?

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I use a charge controler like this one

I've got 4 30 watt, 12 volt panels which feed into a hub before connecting to the charge controller.

That goes to 3 12 volt leisure batteries, which I can take a 12 volt feed from or put it thru an inverter to charge the lawn mower/ strimmer and so on.

Where I used to live I had a long cable (15 to 20 metres) that ran to the pill box and powered a 12 volt LED lighting strip :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Here's the lights :)

DSCN2293.JPG
DSCN2294.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thats cool! So 120-180 feet of wire did not appreciably diminish the energy feed? I would not have known that on a dc voltage setup. I was thinking I would have to increase the wire size at a minimum of once or twice.

The LED's only take a small amount of power so no noticeable drop off. It was a 2.5mm cable though :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Some pics of our present set up :)

DSCF1697.JPG

2 Panels on either side of the roof.

DSCF1698.JPG

The hub at the top allows for more panels to be added or the wind generator if I can get it back from Dorset.

The charge controller can handle 50 amps, it only goes upto about 10 amps in full sunshine so no problem there.

DSCF1700.JPG

Total cloud cover this morning but still getting 1.2 amps through the clouds

DSCF1699.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Obviously I have to overcome certain life choices in pursuit of panel placement. This should be fun. What is there about the light? Do they need a current stable driver for white lights? Or wire direct? I was thinking 48" replaceables for more lux.
IMG_20190715_074738_resize_30.jpg
IMG_20190715_074816_resize_66.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I had the LED's wired straight to the 12 volt without any current stabiliser :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depending on how long or how often you plan on running the lights you could possibly get buy without any solar panels just a 12 volt battery. There is a lot of info on Youtube about the cheap Harbor Freight setups. Here is an online dealer that could supply better equipment if you really needed it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
chip initialization? bios battery may be dead. its not booting the basic input output system (bios) which then loads the other jazz. Of course a bad power supply could pop a capacitor and frag random parts with what amounts to a small bolt of lightning in a 3.5v to 5v motherboard. Or video card, or hard drive etc. Ask me how I know...

under computer management menu there is menu item called event viewer. If you can get to it look for critical events. one called event 41, something about kernel-power is often a power supply issue.

Also if it is just dusty as heck inside the cpu box, static shorts are possible.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Lightening is a really important topic for thinking. You need to understand which type of lighting is comfortable for your sight. You can try to use some LED lamps with a white-colored luminescence, I think they will fit you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I hoping someone can help me. I have two baby mango trees that I started from seeds, one in June (Lola) not doing to well, over watered, lost it’s leafs, but I see tiny bit of green on the top. The other has sprouted, I just potted today (Eunice). I’ve been keeping Lola under a purple/blue light setting for about three weeks because if I’m not mistaken it’s supposed to stimulate leaf growth.
My question is can I keep a bright (white) setting during the day and the purple/blue setting at night and not cause harm to either plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's possible, you can choose options that are designed with multiple lighting modes. String lights that have multiple lighting modes are better options to make special events look even more welcoming and lively. Besides lighting up and decorating your surroundings, they are practical because they help reduce you electric expenses.

Ask a Question