Teepee trellis for butternut squash and other veg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Would this style work for vegetables like butternut squash? Do I train the plant around the outside of the teepee (shown in picture), or around the inside (like a tomato cage would train a tomato)

9F4BCCB3-415A-4765-8B68-595D59A9B423.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would this style work for vegetables like butternut squash? Do I train the plant around the outside of the teepee (shown in picture), or around the inside (like a tomato cage would train a tomato)

View attachment 61677
You can do it either way but by planting around the outside you can grow a few more plants. As butternut is not a climber it can be trained to grow up a trellis. Also butternut squash fruit will need additional support as the fruits become larger.
There is a little known or grown squash that is much more adaptable to a trellis than any of the other squash. It is a round squash that is the size between a hardball and a softball It is delicious either in the green stage or in totally ripe form. In the ripe form it is yellow and has a hard skin and makes a good winter squash as it will keep for a long time. The vine will approach or exceed 15 feet and produces a lot of squash. Although not impervious to the squash vine borer it has excellent resistance It's name is Tatume.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I’m growing it in a 10 gallon container. How many butternut squash plants do you recommend I fit in there? The more the better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m growing it in a 10 gallon container. How many butternut squash plants do you recommend I fit in there? The more the better.
Squash plants are BIG and they are prone to fungal diseases thus you don't want them too close together. They also have a BIG root system so ONE plant per container

Ask a Question