Teenage Tomatoes out of control!

Reaction score
Country
France
Sorry for a long post, and I hope this is the right place for my questions. As you will read I'm not only a newbie in the forum, I'm also a total newbie to growing tomatoes.

During the Covid-19 lockdown, my son of 6 and I, started a little home growing project. I wanted to show the little one that Tomatoes actually doesn't come from the supermarket, but from plants :pas we are city people.

When buying seeds for our cherry tomatoes, we looked at the picture on the packs, not knowing that one day terminate and indeterminate, would be a part of our vocabulary :geek:

These seeds turned into small cute seedlings. We repotted them, and they've been growing and growing. Today they look like rebellious and out of control teenage tomato plants.

In the beginning support was provided. I was working from home and could take care, but I was called back to the office. The teenagers were "forgotten" except for the watering. To the point where these 8 rebels have taken over quite a large part of the living room.

So, 4 of the plants are very long. 4 not as much. I know that one of the varieties we bought were called "black cherry" which I believe is a vine, the other I do not know. I don't really know which one is what. We were just growing.

I have added some pictures. As you can see 3 of the plants are using the sofa as support. And, the 4 on top are getting longer and are growing through the ceiling (they are the smaller ones). They all have flowers and some have started setting fruit, so we must have done something right.

The question is really what's next? Please dont judge the upbringing of the plants. All was done with the best of intentions. I just don't know. The 4 small ones can still be supported, but the longer ones, should I make shelves and let them grow along the window? I've got about 5 meters to give them.

My wife is not too happy, but this is something me and my son will go through with, so any advice is highly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG20200615101809.jpg
    IMG20200615101809.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG20200615101609.jpg
    IMG20200615101609.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_2020-06-15-10-09-04-92.png
    Screenshot_2020-06-15-10-09-04-92.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 113
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Support can be a soft string, something like a shoelace that won't cut the meristem. Look up "french weave" re tomato for the idea of string horizontally. Get some wax paper or something to separate the plants from furniture. They stain clothing amazing well. Punningly 'brush up" on hand pollination techniques. The flowers need some help to pollinate whilst indoors.

Ask a Question