Teach our Children

Reaction score
My son started preschool and i was delighted when attached to his classroom i saw an area for gardening. My heart sank when i learned it would not be used due to cuts in budget. I have purchased some items and have stuff at home i don't mind donating but its nowhere near enough. Does anyone know if there's an organization or charity that wouldn't mind donating items? I am willing to volunteer all the manual labor needed just short on supplies.The school is not state funded its a non profit and has a tax id if they need it. Thanks a bunch. Any input appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Patti, is there a Master Gardener program near you? They not only may give you supplies, but might have seeds and transplants to donate.
Also, you could ask local churches to have a one-time offering for the school garden. Rotary, Lions, and other benevolent clubs might help. You could write a letter to the editor for the local newspaper, or contact a TV station and see if they would be interested in doing an interview or public announcement about the school garden.
Good luck--children certainly need to learn where food comes from!

Reaction score
Couldnt agree more. Just started "prepping" and realized how important it is to know how to grow fruits and veggies. Also gets kids outside and away from tv and video games. Thanks for helpful info.

Reaction score
Marlin made a great suggestion, Patti! By the way, why did you start prepping recently? Is it because of the Ebola situation? I must admit in moments like this I really wish I had dedicated my time to grow at least vegges, others than cucumbers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'm missing something here. What does growing your own vegetables/food have to do with Ebola? It isn't a food-borne illness, nor is it tranmitted by improper storage of food.

Reaction score
I think that Ebola will not cause much of a problem in most countries, simply because people are taking the risks seriously. For every horror story about contaminated trash not being properly handled, there is ANOTHER story about things being done correctly.

There are very few cases in most countries, and with prompt attention I don't think this illness will spread.

Reaction score
Get to know that schools budget and what is exactly going where- sad to say but I worked for a non-profit for years and would never work for one again- the things I witnessed in that place sickened me. It was a 3.2 million dollar a year non-profit running off government grants..and that money was moved around and mishandled it was a disgrace. See WHY they cut it and what for- get a petition going explaining where the cuts could have or should have gone instead and get that gardening program reenacted!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys lost my log in details and had to make new account but this is Patti. Wanted to say thank you for your feedback. Also give a status report on garden. The school found an urban farming group near the school, literally down the street. The children were invited to see the urban farm and did take a field trip there. As an adult my mind was blown by the possibilities, I know my son was equally impressed. However, they didn't stop there they have come to the school once a week since to help with our garden and our little garden has flourished. It really is beautiful. We have done so well (lol i say we) we were featured on KCET's SoCal Program in an urban farming segment that recently aired. My son was invited to attend and participate in filming. I am elated and so proud. Once again thanks guys. if you click the link my little boy is the spiky haired kid in the background wearing a white shirt. Ttys...patti http://www.kcet.org/shows/socal_connected/stories/health/urban-farming-a-food-desert-oasis.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You might see if you can start a fundraiser. You could go to a local nursery and see if they would donate or sell at a steep discount, flowers, then sell them at a field day event. You could also have people donate other things and have a yard sale at the same time. Also, some of the bulb companies have fundraisers, I can't remember which ones, sorry it's been a long time since my kids was in school.

I think it's so important to get kids out and get their hands in the dirt. There's so much you can teach them, and there is nothing more rewarding, for both you and the child, than them seeing the fruits (or should I say veggies) of their labors. The first time they pick a cucumber or tomato, or even a flower, is priceless.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can also get some other parents to involve and helping you out with assigned tasks. In my experiences, there will be more parents that are willing to help than you will want. Some should go to the local nurseries, and some can get into with other places. It would be nice for the children to get their hands in the dirt :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It is not just the kids, that need to be keepers of this knowledge. At almost 60, I am likely the last generation that I know of, that has first hand information on growing foodstuff, planting and keeping a garden and then to preserve, salt, pickle or can the items for later use.

I remember meeting a young woman and her daughter and niece a couple of years back at a "vegetable stand" just outside Fredericksburg, VA (about 50 miles south of Washington DC). The young woman, early to mid 30's, was wondering what the crib of corn was....as she had NEVER seen an ear/cob of corn still in the husk. I showed her how to pick out an ear or two, using my usual, "if it has a worm in the tip, it is good enough for me, as well" and that if there was no worm, there was a reason. I explained how some husked the corn, picked off the hair and brought it to a boil in a pan of water. Or how, the really great way, she could pull the husk back, remove the hair, light butter and replace the husks and then lightly grill on her outdoor grill. She was amazed...the only corn she had ever eaten was canned cream or kernel corn. Never had frozen, as someone told her stones and mouse eyes were seen on the sort line and that grossed her out.

It will only be another 10-12 years before all of the first hand knowledge is gone and speculative, peer written tripe like WikiPaedia will be the go to place for gardening knowledge. Ugh! There is SO much misinformation there.

Already I have had people tell me that sealing was on jam will "never work" or that canning veggies - just traps germs in with it. I even had a college educated woman tell me that chicken eggs had to go through processing before they could be sold. I explained that candling, sorting by size and washing were all that was needed....and even then the only one that really mattered was washing them. You may have even seen a fertilized egg years back. Or that sailboaters (and preppers) could keep eggs for months with no refrigeration by oiling them to preserve them. Mineral oil works best, but others swear by vegetable.

Keep them cool, as a kid we left them on the edge of the spring along with butter, cheese and milk, and they will last for months. Oh!, and don't be worried about a rotten egg, your nose will certainly let you know it is bad. Salt Ham was stored hanging in the spring house as well, but that is another skill and knowledge base all it's own.

Keep the knowledge, teach the knowledge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys lost my log in details and had to make new account but this is Patti. Wanted to say thank you for your feedback. Also give a status report on garden. The school found an urban farming group near the school, literally down the street. The children were invited to see the urban farm and did take a field trip there. As an adult my mind was blown by the possibilities, I know my son was equally impressed. However, they didn't stop there they have come to the school once a week since to help with our garden and our little garden has flourished. It really is beautiful. We have done so well (lol i say we) we were featured on KCET's SoCal Program in an urban farming segment that recently aired. My son was invited to attend and participate in filming. I am elated and so proud. Once again thanks guys. if you click the link my little boy is the spiky haired kid in the background wearing a white shirt. Ttys...patti http://www.kcet.org/shows/socal_connected/stories/health/urban-farming-a-food-desert-oasis.html

Your post required moderator approval (probably because it viewed you as a new member sharing a link in their first post) so I just wanted to give it a bump so that it wasn't missed!

Ask a Question