Taunton's Fine Gardening Mags.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Have lots of way back issues. would love to send them to people in the USA instead of tossing them out. Lets face it, good ideas and plant names never get old, or change. So any ideas? I know the post office has book rate, which is cheap.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Lets face it, good ideas and plant names never get old, or change. So any ideas?

I have ideas!! (y)

Maybe you could find a local chapter of Master Gardeners and see if they would want them? Maybe you could donate them to a local high school for their library? Or a senior's center or nursing home might like new reading material? The local jail or prison will probably accept new reading material, also!! (Worth a phone call to ask!)

If you are ready to just have rid of them because they take up space and collect dust, it's possible an elementary school might take them for an art class. (Or a Sunday school class?) I remember cutting up magazines to make collages, and also gluing pretty pictures on paper to make "cards" for my Mom. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
MaryMary, when I was a children's library librarian, I accepted all sorts of magazines and even flower/vegetable catalogs for my volunteers to cut out pictures. The pictures went to enhance the weekly reading for the pre-school children, and for the after-reading craft for the older children.
Your ideas are great, and I hope they encourage more of us to put our gardening magazines and catalogs to better use than just putting them in the recycling bin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Recently I thought of taking them to my favorite garden nursery and they could just stack them for free to the customers. then I know those of true interest would pick up one to use.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Esther, that might work... but a store is a store, and space is used to sell stuff. :unsure: I'd be half afraid that they'd graciously accept them in the interest of "making nice" with the customer, and then they'd be pitched within minutes of your backside clearing the door. :cautious: Maybe I am overly suspicious... but I've worked retail 30+ years, and every square inch is an opportunity to make a sale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Esther, that might work... but a store is a store, and space is used to sell stuff. :unsure: I'd be half afraid that they'd graciously accept them in the interest of "making nice" with the customer, and then they'd be pitched within minutes of your backside clearing the door. :cautious: Maybe I am overly suspicious... but I've worked retail 30+ years, and every square inch is an opportunity to make a sale.
I am thinking, the customers would look through them, and want to come back to the nursery to "find and buy" the new plants they discovered in them. I myself often messages that particular nursery when i see a plant I like to see if they have it, or are going to have it. Actually just did it, and yes, they will have it in the spring. therefore they make money.

Ask a Question