Tart strawberries

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted about 20 mail order bare root strawberry plants in a new 4' x 8' raised bed in my backyard. The raised bed was filled with "garden and flower" topsoil from the home center. This top soil has "6 months" of fertilizer mixed in it. I also added about half a 5 gallon bucket of composted leaves from last year. I don't think the composted leaves hurt, but I don't think they helped either. It's just something that I did.

I've started harvesting some strawberries. They are small and tart. I imagine that more fertilizer or sun might help the size? As for the tartness, is the soil perhaps too acidic? Any suggestions where to start are appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @pjstadig, I am wondering what variety of strawberry you have there. There are many varieties, and some are very much better than others. Maybe it would be worth doing a little research into the subject.
I think I would be more suspicious of the variety than of the soil conditions. :confused:

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are EarliGlo strawberries. I'm in Virginia in zone 7a. As far as I understand they should be sweet, and in fact they are sweet and tart, they're not totally tart.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm probably not qualified as a gardener, but as someone who LOVES strawberries....sounds like they just aren't ripe yet. Perhaps you are harvesting too soon?

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When did you plant them, it's best not to pick them in their first year, people usually pick off the first flowers and wait for the plants to get big and established.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When did you plant them, it's best not to pick them in their first year, people usually pick off the first flowers and wait for the plants to get big and established.

I planted them from bare root in May, so maybe I should not be letting them fruit. I think it's too late to pull off flowers as there are lots of fruit already coming in. Should I just pluck them all off and toss them, or just let them go?

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As they are not yet very nice, I would forgo this year's fruit and cut them off, feed the plants and next year they'll be lovely.
A photo may be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I need to wait until next year. :(

Attachments

• IMG_20170609_131624342.jpg
    IMG_20170609_131624342.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20170609_131617683.jpg
    IMG_20170609_131617683.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 247

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I most definitely would not let the flower and fruit at that size.

Ask a Question