Tall shasta daisies

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a question regarding my shasta daises. they are healthy and vigourous, they are at a corner in my garden and they grow very tall, and eventually fall over, even staking does not seem to work, Can i prune them back so they remain about 3 feet mid summer, rather than 4-5, or by pruning will I remove all the potential flowers, Do daises take well to pruning?, thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pruning won't do much good for the flowers and these plants naturally want to grow. I would suggest using a couple of stakes and some garden string to hold them up; although you might be fighting a loosing battle. Make sure that the plants get enough water and that theyre not going limp.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are various types of ready-made circular stem supports that are often more effective than tied stakes. For a large blooming colony of tall Shasta Daisies (Leucanthemum x superbum cvs.), several supports of different sizes and shapes may be required. These supports are usually made of green or black painted metal and are not too visually obtrusive.

Another option is to plant sturdily-branched subshrubs around the daisies. These plants will act as living supports for the taller, splaying stems of their neighbors.

Also, if the plants are at all shaded, do what you can to give them more light. This can often help a reaching plant to stay more compact and upright.

Ask a Question