20210504_151628.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cheers Chuck
Would nipping off the top leaves help
Absolutely NOT. This plant needs all of the photosynthesis/chlorophyll making capabilities it can possibly get and removing leaves will only further speed up the demise of this plant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Near miss thanks for that!
I'll have to hope for a good summer then

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Near miss thanks for that!
I'll have to hope for a good summer then
Even where I live in South Texas it is almost impossible to grow an avocado here because it always freezes in the winter. There are a few hybrid avocados that are more cold hardy but even they will either be severely damaged or killed each year. Avocados bought from a store and grown from a pit will not survive sub-freezing weather. They require full sun and keeping them indoors will be a futile experiment, at best. Moving them inside your house during the winter also will not work as there will be a lack of sunlight and humidity and the plant will go into shock and lose most or all of its leaves which may or may not resprout. It will also never be an attractive house plant with limited light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started this last year and it has been indoors since october. It did stop growing but i didn't loose any leaves.i think i'll leave it alone, water when needed and see how it goes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Avocados doing well and now needs a bigger pot any tips please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey Liam, how's your avocado doing? I have a nice little avocado tree going but its outdoors rn, will need to start bring it in soon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As a foliage houseplant, Avocado (Persea americana) can do quite well indoors in bright indirect light, though flowers would be unlikely and fruit much more so. As with most woody plants, side-branching can be encouraged by removing the apical tip.

Ask a Question