Taking stock.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just being a chatterbox again and taking stock of my life in general. At least once each year I look at what I've done and where I'm heading. It's been another exceptionally busy year for me both in the workshop and in the gardens; I've converted our garage into a full time workshop installing new benches and cupboards; I've rebuilt a number of big machines and designed and constructed a 4hp saw bench plus lots of other workshop projects; as the weather improved regarding temperature I was out in the gardens. To the rear garden I removed and shredded an 100' long x 8' tall mostly conifer hedge; brought lots of 30' tall laurels down to 3' tall again shredding; recently I've felled a mature 30' tall holly then had to remove a section of garden retaining wall in order to access the holly roots allowing the stump to be completely removed; then I rebuilt the wall and back filled; now I could cut a wedge out of the steep garden and create a flagged site for the new garden hut I designed and constructed. Now I moved up the mountain to the top and completely removed a 40' long snowberry hedge together with lots of tree stumps I had previously removed the trees from I also dug up the snowberry stumps and roots whilst removing masses of English ivy which had also overrun the hawthorn tree; I've installed four composting bins and made a cold frame; you get the idea; I've been rather busy as usual.

So what's ahead; well; yesterday I decided to sharpen the blades on my petrol Spear & Jackson SPJHT 26 hedge trimmer so took the trimmer into the workshop; access for sharpening the rear end of the blades was poor so why not do what I usually do and create a much bigger job; I stripped out the gearbox thus releasing both blades which I then sharpened and intended to reassemble the trimmer today. Last night in bed and this morning I've been giving more thought to the gardens and having disposed of the two big hedges which made owning this petrol trimmer a must do I now need this big heavy trimmer; I still have lots of laurels and privets etc but would a lighter electric trimmer now be more suitable; well at first I thought no because to reach the laurels at the top of the garden would require at least 120' of cable so this was out of the question; what about a cordless trimmer after all the batteries much better these days and I love my Makita cordless drill/driver?

I'm going to have a good look at what is available and I think the cordless hedge trimmer will be a good choice for my needs; this will allow me to dispose of not only the big heavy and very noisy petrol trimmer but will do away with buying fuel and oil. For anyone owning one of these S&J petrol trimmers I've included strip down pictures below; the gearbox cover doesn't simply lift free once the retaining machine screws are removed it gently needs prising upwards to pull it from its bearing; the grease is filthy and I wanted to replace the grease with correct grease; care is needed on a strip such as this because it's so easy to get caught out with roller needle bearings which are exposed and loose only too willing to quickly disappear into the black hole under the bench never to be seen again.

Now having attained the age of 70 I'm looking at making life easier for when I grow up; I've used the petrol trimmer for years and its very tiring but it gets through a lot of work extremely quickly so I've coped with it but I should hate to have to use it for prolonged periods or I'd need new arms.

This morning I've already sorted out two niggling problems; the smart DVD player when using a DVD sounded like an outboard motor; this I find isn't actually the player at fault but vibration being transmitted through the table its sitting upon; a folded tea towel placed beneath it has silenced it at last. The second problem was cold draughts entering our front room through the opening window joints so now I've simply added draught proofing tape solving another problem; two problems now already sorted for today.

I never take anything on face value and am always trying to improve; just because something has always been done a certain way doesn't mean it cannot be bettered and I look deeply at anything I take on; it's amazing how much a little thought up front can make a huge difference.

As I say though I'm a chatterbox and I'm rambling again but I'm never bored; I have lots of projects lined up in the workshop for winter entertainment.

The bottom picture is two of my friends when I'm in the garden; I enjoy their company.

I'll add a few of the things I've done to improve our lives shortly; hope you haven't fallen asleep? :):):)

Kind regards, Colin.

A quick update; I've just bought one of these Makita cordless hedge trimmers costing £65 for a bare machine; I have a Makita cordless drill with charger and 4AH battery.

Makita DUH523Z Cordless LXT Lithium-Ion Hedge Trimmer

DSC00080.JPG
DSC00081.JPG
DSC00082.JPG
DSC00083.JPG
DSC00084.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We never used to service our own garden/yard power (electric or gas) tools. We always sent them out for an annual "tune up" or when they malfunctioned, but then we began learning how. It has helped them last longer, and it is much cheaper than sending them out.

I like to watch squirrels. Where I grew up, we also had black squirrels. I've never seen black ones anywhere else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I do enjoy using a trimmer with sharp blades. Never used a gas one, just electric. I am reminded now that my black and decker batteries for my weed wacker are no good any more. Squeezed one final summer out of them.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The only tradespeople Bron and I get in are those trained and qualified in gas installations; we had a new high efficiency gas fire and also central heating boiler installed other than these two I do the lot. You'll save a lot of money MoonShadows now you service your own gardening equipment and you can take your time to do a first class job; I like to service all my gardening equipment just before winter arrives then its ready for the new season when it arrives; the petrol chainsaw though can be used any time of the year due to the high winds we suffer here on the valley bringing down trees and branches.

Sharp well maintained tools/machinery are always a joy to use johnny canoe but how many buy a piece of kit then simply run it until it expires usually sooner than later; I've rebuilt heavy expensive woodworking machines that appear to have never seen an oil can since they left the manufacturer; I know its easy for me to talk because I'm a mechanical engineer but it upsets me to see any kit abused. New batteries will be well worth buying assuming the machine is worth the outlay?

When I retired our neighbours must have thought I had retired solely to help them; Terry was first asking if I would take on a contract to service tyre equipment then Tony came to our door asking if I would take on servicing/repairing power tools and he already had at least forty for me to start on; I politely declined both requests; I was flattered in a way to be asked but why would anyone fully retire then take this kind of work on? I don't mind doing small jobs and never ever charge but I'm now keeping my head down because the requests started to take over my life.

I've never seen a black squirrel and until now didn't even know black squirrels existed?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I should have taken the time to learn some mechanics from my dad and brothers. I'm the youngest in the family and I got away with concentrating on what ever I wanted. So that was working with the cattle and horses and driving the tractors and combine. Dad and one of my brothers always had things well maintained. Even to this day, if I need a machine fixed that one brother makes sure it happens for me. Of course when he needs a hand from me, when he's doing some wood working project, I'm happy to help.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You've done very well this year, Colin. You should be so proud of yourself .. 10 out of 10 ..

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You've done very well this year, Colin. You should be so proud of yourself .. 10 out of 10 ..

Thanks alp; kind of you.

I like to keep busy; I've just done the ironing a job I don't mind in the least and it helps Bron out a bit; whilst I was ironing I was quietly singing to YouTube music videos playing on our TV;

You're my world. Cilla Black.
You don't have to say you love me. Dusty.
God only knows. Beach boys.
All I have to do is dream & Cathy's clown. Everly brothers.
Good morning starshine. Oliver.

I fired up the computer and TV ready for breakfast and let YouTube select for me; I deleted a couple of songs but this left 51 in the list and they are still playing; I was happy and at peace with the world and it cost extremely little; what a vast difference from if I had watched the news on TV instead?

Below are a few pictures of small projects I've done to make our lives a little bit better. Two bedside tables and lamps. the panelling and wardrobes are also home made. We have a 12' long window and three roller blinds are installed but the middle blind was always a problem to adjust with the sofa being in the way so I dreamt up the mechanism; all three blinds are now coupled together; I turned wooden rollers dispensing with the original cardboard rollers and added metal rods then turned stainless steel coupler's; the crank has a spring loaded brake installed which is adjustable allowing the blinds to be arrested at any height; an industrial "V" drive belt transmits the power; everything is home made and this was a very satisfying project; it's been in use many years and the mechanism needs a wipe; it's hidden from sight behind curtains. The two individual wall lights I installed years ago and these are used for reading whilst seated on the sofa. I obviously have excellent workshop facilities but many of my machines were bought as scrap and I completely stripped and refurbished them so nothing I do costs a lot in money but it does take a lot of time which I never begrudge.

This bitterly cold weather is making me feel lazy but I think a bit of quality time in the workshop is called for.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00085.JPG
DSC00086.JPG
DSC00087.JPG
DSC00088.JPG
DSC00089.JPG
DSC00090.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Grey squirrels have driven out our red ones!:eek::eek::eek:
I just recently learned that our North American gray squirrels were introduced into Europe and now considered an invasive species. Gray squirrels are persistent and smart animals, there are whole videos showing how cunning they can be at defeating contraptions designed to keep them out of bird feeders and other videos just having fun.

They're all over the place here in the east coast, but between the cats and birds of prey that keeps their numbers in check, but in the larger cities they can be a problem.

We do have a Red squirrel here, but the only time I've seen them is when I go hiking up in the North East forests, such as in Maine; I don't know how they compare to your native red squirrels, but I do remember having things thrown at me from what seemed like was coming from the red squirrels up in the trees followed by some weird chirping sounds they were vocalizing in my direction. Very strangeo_O

Here are a couple videos:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks roadrunner for posting the squirrel videos; you've got your own problems though laughing at Coyote? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bron and I love to see our squirrels and we spend lots of money feeding them; we've just bought a 25kg bag of peanuts so I hope this lasts a few weeks; we had five squirrels here yesterday; we let them feed in peace. A friend used to call squirrels "rats with bushy tails". A previous neighbour who was a retired headteacher used to shoot squirrels calling them vermin; I often wondered what the squirrels thought of him because I didn't rate him very highly. :( Another local guy shoots magpies; Bron and I are animal lovers and live in peace with them perhaps this is why we have so many of them visiting us because they know we won't hurt them. :)

I've just spent an happy hour in the workshop getting the petrol mower ready for next springtime; this mower was bought new 31 years ago just before we moved in; it was expensive but has proved very cheap over the years with the service its provided; original wheels have broken and I've replaced them; the two front wheels plastic I had in stock the rear wheels I turned from wood adding metal bushes and I butchered the original wheels removing the tyres which I grafted onto the new wooden wheels; well I do have a reputation to maintain of being a tight Yorkshireman. :LOL::LOL::LOL: I've serviced this mower every winter and it still runs beautifully; I've removed the blade and sharpened it. I no longer use the grass box hence the short cord to hold the rear flap partially open; I suffer the odd missile because of the open flap. An oily rag is one of the best tools a mechanical engineer possesses; a wipe over with the oily rag finishes the job. The height of cut is fixed but this isn't a problem as long as it cuts the grass without scalping it.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00093.JPG
DSC00094.JPG
DSC00095.JPG
DSC00096.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much, @roadrunner for uploading such funny videos.. I think someone outsmarted them by using grease .

The 2nd one is a bit of the work of a sadist! LOL!

That's why I will never buy peanuts. Last time I bought them, the blessed critter pulled out the bottom and all the peanuts fell onto the floor. One bird feeder bit the dust.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We don't have squirrels here on our farm--they hang out in the pecan bottoms down by Sandy Creek and stuff their little cheeks full of nice pecans (which are $5 for an 8 oz. bag at the grocery!).
My husband is mechanically inclined, and the incline has become steeper since we moved to the country. He sharpens, oils, cleans, and does all sorts of things with our small amount of equipment, and I do a lot of laundry with grease remover. I have never figured out how a ball point pen works, so I leave the mechanical/technical stuff to him.
Colin, Bron and I are lucky women!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@marlingardener You don't want them in your garden as they are up to no good. Dig up your plant, eat your bulbs which can be very expensive. A lot of people have to use wire net to cover their pots. It's nice to awww over them in photos, but they can be such a nuisance.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We don't have squirrels here on our farm--they hang out in the pecan bottoms down by Sandy Creek and stuff their little cheeks full of nice pecans (which are $5 for an 8 oz. bag at the grocery!).
My husband is mechanically inclined, and the incline has become steeper since we moved to the country. He sharpens, oils, cleans, and does all sorts of things with our small amount of equipment, and I do a lot of laundry with grease remover. I have never figured out how a ball point pen works, so I leave the mechanical/technical stuff to him.
Colin, Bron and I are lucky women!

Thank you marlingardener for your lovely comment; I'm sure your husband and I are the lucky ones in our choice of wife; Bron isn't just my wife she's my best friend and I love her to bits as she does me; we are in each other's company full time and no better place for me to be. (y):):):):):)

Bron and I love to see the squirrels but I can appreciate the damage they are capable of; if our rear garden wasn't a steep valley side then it would make a wonderful 500 hole golf course? The squirrels are digging everywhere; we could start our own oak seedling business; these seedlings come up every year where the squirrels have kindly planted the acorns for us; they also plant peanuts; we don't mind in the least and we certainly would never hurt any of them.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question