Taking It Back!

Reaction score
Im taking back my yard! But from what? I thought this was poison ivy but as I dug it up Ive found that the roots are extensive and pretty much the only thing preventing a mini landslide. I pulled out a lot of it and that part of the hill collapsed. I guess the weeds are staying >.<
IMG_7990.JPG IMG_7991.JPG IMG_7989.JPG
Also, I dont know what this is either but it was in the front flower beds when we moved in. It smells like pot and got CPS called on us...fun times...
IMG_7996.JPG IMG_7997.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Im taking back my yard! But from what? I thought this was poison ivy but as I dug it up Ive found that the roots are extensive and pretty much the only thing preventing a mini landslide. I pulled out a lot of it and that part of the hill collapsed. I guess the weeds are staying >.<
View attachment 2611 View attachment 2612 View attachment 2613
Also, I dont know what this is either but it was in the front flower beds when we moved in. It smells like pot and got CPS called on us...fun times...
View attachment 2614 View attachment 2615
View attachment 2611 View attachment 2612 View attachment 2613
View attachment 2614 View attachment 2615
The second pic looks amazingly like a thornless blackberry vine or poison oak. The third pic looks like what we call here bunch grass and it is used in exactly in the same manner, to prevent erosion. I haven't a clue what the last 2 pics are but I wish I had some

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Last 2 pic with pink flowers......Rhododendron...one more commonly known as Azalea.

Have a look at this very good site about Poison ivy...

http://grandpacliff.com/Plants/PoisonIvy.htm
Excellent site. I can't be sure but it looks like there are tiny thorns on the main stem in the second pic. If there are it is thornless blackberry. Here in Texas blackberry vines are grown in places just like that hillside to prevent errosion. Unfortunately I live in a place where the soil is very alkaline and azaleas don't do well but blackberrys do fairly well.

Reaction score
Its very thorny! Stupid thing got me through my work gloves but in 3 years weve never seen berries. Silver! Thanks for that link, now I know its Virginia creeper that we have. and that rhododendron...jeeze its so smelly idk if we should take it out or plant more hahaha Our next door neighbor is a sheriff

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Probably the reason you haven't seen fruit is because of lack of fertilizer, water and the effect of pulling them up. You have something special. Blackberrys only fruit on new wood. While it is cold in the later part of winter get a weedeater and cut them back. They will grow back rapidly and produce fruit. I unfortunately have Virginia Creeper all over my place and that is definetly NOT VC.

Reaction score
silver, there are both 3 and 5 leaf plants. how do you fertilize on a steep hill? id like to get them producing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
silver, there are both 3 and 5 leaf plants. how do you fertilize on a steep hill? id like to get them producing.
Is this hill in full sun? Full sun isn't the most favorite place for VC. On the 5 leaf plants spray them with 2oz orange oil, a squirt of dish washing liquid in a gallon of pickling vinegar. How to fertilize? Either scatter by hand granular organic fertilizer or get a hose end sprayer and set it at 2oz per gallon and spray it regularly. And clean sprayer immediately after using the vinegar mixture or it will eat out the seals.

Reaction score
thanks for the advice! I'm gonna save these guys and my hill from land slidng lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
thanks for the advice! I'm gonna save these guys and my hill from land slidng lol
Really, it is not something to take lightly. I haven't seen where that hill is or how big it is in relation to your house but I have spent most of my life in construction and I know what heavy rains can do to something downhill of millions of pounds of dirt. Whoever had the house before you went to considerable expense to plant that bunch grass and berry vines. I don't think it will be amiss to continue what they started.

Reaction score
Its our backyard starting immediately after the porch and this is why weve been trying to do something with it plus everything had overgrown onto the walkway and porch. Theres this pretty ivy with purple flowers that grows in our yard too so thats weve been transplanting everywhere and its taking well. Definitely going to save the berries and follow your instructions! Thank you guys for your time and advice

Reaction score
That is a steep slope. Impossible to work on with ease.
That ground looks like shale/rock, with no decent soil.
How about getting rid of weeds, brambles etc, putting down a membrane over all area, to prevent more weeds emerging. Make sure it will let rain through.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=garden membrane heavy duty&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=iGdbU8f1HcvXPfb0gZgP&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=1019

Then,,,,cut holes in membrane and take away a bucket of that terrible rock...refill hole with really nice growing medium. Plant something into the good soil.
Something that will spread to form a beautiful mass of colour while preventing a landslide.
Not sure what grows well in your area but Hypericum calycinium is a possibility....Calycinum is a low growing spreading type, only 60cms high but spread up to 1.5m

A lot of work...but once established you just leave it alone.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...oCACg&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=1019

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/hypericum-calycinum---rose-of-sharon/hypericum_calycinum

By the way I LOVE the smell fro Rhododendrons and Azaleas. Esp in a damp woodland setting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
it is clay and shale with less than 2in top soil. i have a limited budget and plan to move in a couple years so im not going to sink so much time and effort into it. plus I dont have much time with as a new mom. im going to try n salvage the berrries and try to convince the ivy further up the hill to take. on the sturdier side of the hill my sister carved out a bit and put a retainer up to make a little bed set into the hill and that looks good. almost all of the 5 trays of seedlings we started died off. what a rocky start haha

Ask a Question