Taking Care of Your Tools

Reaction score
I can't stand to see gardening tools being left out in the elements. This just grates on my nerves and I do not understand why people do it. My husband has a bad habit of leaving the tools lying around on the ground or just standing them up against the house or a tree or really anywhere that he can lean them. He will leave them there overnight and in all sorts of weather. He does not seem to care if it rains on them.

I, on the other hand, want all gardening tools put away after their use and I certainly do not want them left out in the elements overnight! We argue this point frequently during the Spring and Summer months.

What is your opinion?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shellyann36 I am glad to hear I am not the only one that has to remind people to care for the tools used in the yard. I looked out the window this morning to see the bags for the leaves on the ground, they have been snowed on, rained on and are now useless. The rakes are in the same state as the bags. Like you I like my tools to be cared for, so that I am not always replacing them.

What are you going to do? Do all the work yourself or just bite your tongue?

Reaction score
Fortunately I don't have that problem - as it is mostly only me that uses them and as many of mine were quite expensive and not easy to replace - I've always been in the habit of looking after all my gardening tools -as well as putting them away after use - apart from that there are some that I'm particularly attached to - because they are just the right weight or cut at just the right angle that I would be very sad if anything happened to them and looking after them properly avoids that happening :D
I think it would drive me more than mad - if someone left my gardening tools lying around in all weathers - but again am fortunate enough to have a husband who on the few occasions that he does use them - puts them back in the same state and the same spot that he found them in.
I do however think that it is important to look after gardening tools - especially as dirty ill cared for gardening tools can transport disease to many plants as well as be expensive to replace - but also because a lot of gardeners find that many of the implements they use to garden with - are unique to them and therefore - its not always that easy to find a replica.

Reaction score
I like to put my gardening tools away after I use them. Otherwise, they could get caught in the rain and snow and start to rust. It also helps me keep track of them. I put everything back in the proper place. That way, I know where the tools are the next time I need to use them.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gata montes, you make a good point about your tools being unique to you. I had a tool I used to prune my rose bushes that was left out in the elements and rusted to the point I could not use it anymore and have not been able to find a replacement for the tool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I always keep all my things in a strict order, it's like an obsession:p I can't stand chaos. After their use, I put my gardening tools in my parents' basement.
My boyfriend, on the other hand, is a very messy person, so I know how you feel, Shellyann36.

Reaction score
@Pat it is quite aggravating isn't it? I do hope you are able to salvage those bags and rakes! They cost a pretty penny these days. My husband does this all the time. We have a rake sitting outside right now up against a tree getting rained on. Ho hum!

@gata montes It is good that your husband does put your tools away when he helps you out! Kudos to you!

@cmckinney01 Yes putting them away is taking care of them as well as knowing exactly where they are when you need them!

@claudine A bit of OCD is a good thing when it comes to taking care of your tools! Perhaps you can train him before he becomes more than a boyfriend!

Reaction score
Wooden handles can split and cause splinters if left in the elements. I keep mine under the patio cover or in a small shed, but I use them so much they usually litter my patio. Its alright since I am a proud gardener so even if they are out they are still protected from the elements.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@claudine A bit of OCD is a good thing when it comes to taking care of your tools! Perhaps you can train him before he becomes more than a boyfriend!
Haha, I'm afraid that he'll always be as messy as he is now. Some things can't be changed:p
Fortunately, I find it rather adorable and I really enjoy cleaning. When we move in together, he'll do the cooking, I'll do the cleaning:D

Reaction score
Wooden handles can split and cause splinters if left in the elements. I keep mine under the patio cover or in a small shed, but I use them so much they usually litter my patio. Its alright since I am a proud gardener so even if they are out they are still protected from the elements.

This is true about the wooden handles. As long as they have cover I consider that it is put away. :D

Haha, I'm afraid that he'll always be as messy as he is now. Some things can't be changed:p
Fortunately, I find it rather adorable and I really enjoy cleaning. When we move in together, he'll do the cooking, I'll do the cleaning:D

Well if that is the arrangement you have a winner........ as long as he is not a messy cook! :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When I gets a new tool with a wooden shaft/handle I sands the varnish off it and oils it up with Linseed or Danish oil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I like to have all my gardening tools put away, too, and do my best to go around and pick everything up afterwards, and take them to the garage and hang them up, or store the small things in a special bin.
Sometimes, they can "hide" in the grass, and I miss them, and then have to wander around hunting for where I laid that hammer or trowel. I have sometimes bought bright pink spray-paint, and sprayed the tool so it will show up easier.

This actually saved me buying a new shovel one time !
I had some guys doing some work that required digging, and when they loaded up the tools afterwards, my shovel went in with all the other things. I spied it in the back of the pickup, and quickly pointed out the pink markings on it; and got my shovel back.

Reaction score
When I gets a new tool with a wooden shaft/handle I sands the varnish off it and oils it up with Linseed or Danish oil.

That is a good idea. Nice and smoothed will not get you any splinters.

I like to have all my gardening tools put away, too, and do my best to go around and pick everything up afterwards, and take them to the garage and hang them up, or store the small things in a special bin.
Sometimes, they can "hide" in the grass, and I miss them, and then have to wander around hunting for where I laid that hammer or trowel. I have sometimes bought bright pink spray-paint, and sprayed the tool so it will show up easier.

This actually saved me buying a new shovel one time !
I had some guys doing some work that required digging, and when they loaded up the tools afterwards, my shovel went in with all the other things. I spied it in the back of the pickup, and quickly pointed out the pink markings on it; and got my shovel back.

Those fellows must have liked your pink shovel! We have had someone try to walk away with our tools before as well. Keith has lots of tools for construction and someone he knew tried to take a saw once. How rude!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Most gardening tools are made of iron due to the fact that its strong and heavy to withstand tough usage. Iron is vulnerable to rust and its prudent to apply a coat of paint or aluminium to act as a sacrificial coat to prevent further rusting. They should be kept inside in dry conditions and the moving parts properly oiled. The less airy the storage container, the better.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
If you leave your tools outside then they will rust. One needs to clean every tool after using them. You also need to grease any moving part of your garden tools after cleaning them. You will also need to repaint them after using them for a long time.

Ask a Question