Taking care of an indoor pitcher plant

Reaction score
I purchased a pitcher plant from a local festival about a month ago and the only thing the seller told me was that it liked a lot of water and could tolerate bright light. I had never even heard of a pitcher plant but the plant was so unique looking that I just had to have it! I was thinking it needed to be repotted but she said it didn't.

I have it getting direct sunlight sitting on a pedestal in the patio window and I sit the pot in a shallow bowl in water. Some of the pitchers look as if they are dying back and I want to know what I could possibly be doing wrong.
pitcher plant.jpg

Does anyone here have any experience on the indoor kind? (this is not "my" plant; it is a pic from the internet)

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
The direct sunlight could probably be killing your pitcher. I have seen my cousin place her pitcher on the window, but not on direct sunlight she told me that if you put the pitcher on the window, the curtains should be able to pass some sun light, but not directly to the pitcher. Preferably some sheer curtain would be best for this. I hope this will help revive your beautiful pitcher and save it from drying out due to the scorching sun. All the best!!

Reaction score
Pitcher plants are called "carnivorous" plants and typically do better outside. They do best in sunny areas, and grow best in acidic soil. To successfully grow Picture plants their environment should be similar to growing conditions that resemble their natural habitat.

Reaction score
I had a pitcher plant hanging in filtered sunlight on my veranda. It loved a good drink of water every day and just kept on producing more and more pitchers. I live in the tropics, and these types of plants do very well in this humid climate. A lot of the pitchers had insects trapped inside them that got slowly digested by the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen this plant in the Conservatory but never have them myself. My house is sealed from sunlight so to speak and the only place we have any sunlight showing through is my laundryroom window seal. I could only keep plants that don't require lot of sunlight.

Ask a Question