Take a look at my Iris

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi, I want to show everyone the IRIS I planted and would like some advice. First let me add that I had to order the Iris. The nursery I went to did not have them in stock, so I had to take what they would bring me. They arrived in small containers. I noticed they where root bound already when I received them. The soil was very dry. From what I understand they are very drought resistant. I planted them in the large rectangular containers pictured below which measure approximately "31.5 x "12 x "12 each. I layered the bottom of each container with pumice rock to improve drainage. I used a compost mix from a local nursery that appears to be of good quality. I then started to fill the containers with the compost mix until the I felt the correct hight was reached to accommodate the plants. Next, I set the plants in, centered and evenly spaced, and I proceeded to fill in around them up to "2 inches from the top. Finally, I watered some. I made sure that the root balls got some good water but not too much. A lot of water came out the bottom of the pots.

4997272394418727469_121.jpg

Here they are the day before yesterday in their transplant pots right before moving over to the containers.

4997272394418727463_121.jpg

Here they are, planted in their containers.

4997272394418727464_121.jpg

This flower came out this morning. Can anyone tell me anything about this variety?

4997272394418727467_121.jpg

Here is a look at the base of two plants and the dirt. I am a little concerned of the coloring. What do you think?

How often should I water these? How much, and how do I know when to water? From what I understand, these prefer dryer conditions. Is the yellowing at the base of some of the plants a sign of lack of water or is that normal? Any advice given will be highly appreciated, and thank-you for taking the time to look. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
These are Walking Iris (Trimezia gracilis, formerly Neomarica gracilis), in the Iris family (Iridaceae), native to Brazil and Paraguay.
The do best in full to part sun and they do want regular irrigation, especially in a container. They will grow in both well-drained and wet soil. The color at the base of the plant is fine. though I would loosen the original pot soil a bit, as it seems to have hardened solid.

I grow this exceptionally beautiful flower in my in my garden and also a similar, larger, blue-violet species: Trimezia coerulea, formerly Neomarica coerulea. They bloom in summer. Each flower lasts only a day, but their are many flowers on a large plant. Among the flowers, you will alos find clusters of leaves with root initials at the base. These plantlets can be easily removed and planted to grow more plants. This is why they are called Walking Iris, because in the wild, the Iris seem to take steps across the landscape by bending their plantlet-laden peduncles down to the ground.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi Marck,

Thank you for responding. Yes, the soil they came in is as hard as a rock. How do you suggest that I break them up, considering they are already planted? How large will this variety get? Is it a small, medium or large variety? I hope they are not a larger variety since I don't think they would do very well in pots.

My balcony and terrace face do South, and from what I understand, this is what they prefer, although, where they are located, the sun moves across the balcony and there is sun all day, they won't receive more than 4-5 hours of direct sunlight mostly between 1 and 6pm, so I am not sure that will be enough to produce flowers, but lets see. I will give them a chance. The flower pictured above, was probably a product of where they were located in the previous location. You are correct. By the time I am writing this, it is virtually wilted. I am getting ready to cut it off.

The medium they are in drains very well, and they receive plenty of wind, so I suspect that I will have to water at least once a week if not sooner, at least until the roots start to take into the medium, then watering could be at longer intervals.

Thanks again for responding.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For the most part, just let the roots grow out of the from the original root ball into the new potting soil, but if any clods of hard dirt can be broken up by hand, do so. Trimezia gracilis gets about three feet tall. Four to five hours of direct sunlight should be enough to get flowers.

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Today I took a large phillips head screw driver and drove it into the root balls to break up the hard dirt. I did a 5-6 jabs per plant as I didn't want to risk damaging the roots. They have been doing well. Another flower came out the other day, and it looks like other flowers are coming. Tonight I will mildly water them again.

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Four more flowers came out overnight. Looks like they are receiving just enough light. Their medium is moist. I have only been watering with 2 liters per containers every 3 days.

5008098177315875297_121.jpg

5008098177315875298_121.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question