Tackiest garden?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I must be a weirdo, because I love love love tacky/over the top garden accessories.

So far, I have 6 garden gnomes and 4 pink flamingos. I'm trying to convince my husband to let me splurge on the bulk pink flamingoes on Amazon. You can't say no to 70 flamingoes for 35 bucks, can you? Apparently, you can.

What does everybody decorate their yard with? What's the most "over the top" thing you have?

Reaction score
i don't know if it falls under "tacky", but i know i've crowded more seating areas into my backyard than one that size needs, and still thinking/working on a couple more ideas.

i can't help it. i'm looking around here or somewhere else on the 'net, and seeing ideas i like (i'm blaming dr.case for the latest one. shoot, gotta throw the blame on somebody). next thing you know i'm out looking at the yard eyeballing and stepping off measurements.

i've only got one little grassy patch left, but i also picked up some nice, big leanths of scrap metal from work. hummmm... maybe a picnic table....

edit: thinking more on it, an offshoot of the seating that probaly would be considerd tacky is i look for outdoor/patio type throw pillows (the ones made out of sunbrella type material) any place i think might have them. so i have quite a few that don't match.

Last edited:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I could I would probably have a lot of stuff in the yard, but I live with my daughter and have to ask to put anything in the yard and most of the time the answer is no. I did have a bamboo bench in the back which has completely fallen apart due to weather.

Reaction score
I must be a weirdo, because I love love love tacky/over the top garden accessories.

So far, I have 6 garden gnomes and 4 pink flamingos. I'm trying to convince my husband to let me splurge on the bulk pink flamingoes on Amazon. You can't say no to 70 flamingoes for 35 bucks, can you? Apparently, you can.

What does everybody decorate their yard with? What's the most "over the top" thing you have?

Lol, your post made me giggle! Were you seriously considering to buy 70 pink flamingos? Hehehe! I honestly don't consider them tacky or ugly :) I think some people are being kinda snobbish with what they consider tacky or maybe I'm just a little too simple, but in all honesty... I don't think flamingos or garden gnomes are tacky. What I do consider tacky is using tires as planters, or buckets or anything else that wasn't supposed to be used as a planter and then place it outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have a few little gnomes and two pink flamingoes.

I think they show my whimsical side and perhaps a little "moon the neighbours" about them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm going with a Alice in Wonderland, county cottage, etc theme this year. Expanding the raised beds, adding more seating, repainting the current black furniture in brighter colors, putting up a bigger greenhouse, building a trellis wall. I'm sure some will call it tacky but its going to be my secret garden when I'm done. With living walls to block out the outside world (ie neighbors)

I do need flamingos, but probably not 70

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can absolutely say no to 70 flamingos. I used to have a co-worker who decorated her whole office in pink flamingos and it was the tackiest thing I had ever seen. I really do mean that her office was covered in flamingo things. I like to keep my yard and garden looking nice and tidy and I am into metal art, so there are no real flamboyant colors in my yard at all. I like things to look natural.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, it's a lot of flamingos!:D
Personally, I like to keep things simple, I've never been a big fan of garden decorations and tacky statues. But I'd love to have a fountain:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I save the flamingos for the holidays. I painted ten of them as skeleton flamingos and more as Santa and reindeer.... With little pipe cleaner antlers. :ROFLMAO: I don't have anything out of the ordinary now, but when I get my butterfly garden finished, I want to make a wood intarsia of bambi with a butterfly on his tail to put in the middle of the flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This remind me of the conversation I with my mom about garden decorations. I told my mom I can't put a garden gnome in the garden because my boyfriend is horribly creeped out by them. She looked at me with horror that I wasn't going to have a gnome and going "What!? EFF him!?" However, she used the real curse word. He was sitting in the other room and was like did she say eff me over the gnome? Yes. Oh, well, fair enough. (Maybe a get a gnome after all?)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This remind me of the conversation I with my mom about garden decorations. I told my mom I can't put a garden gnome in the garden because my boyfriend is horribly creeped out by them. She looked at me with horror that I wasn't going to have a gnome and going "What!? EFF him!?" However, she used the real curse word. He was sitting in the other room and was like did she say eff me over the gnome? Yes. Oh, well, fair enough. (Maybe a get a gnome after all?)
Hahaha!! Priceless. I'm going to have to take your boyfriend's side on this one. Last night I was in the garden section at walmart (who surprisingly had the best looking plants in the area) when my husband told me to turn around. I found myself staring dead in the face with a giant gnome on a shelf.... All three feet of it. Almost paralyzed me. True story.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I save the flamingos for the holidays. I painted ten of them as skeleton flamingos and more as Santa and reindeer.... With little pipe cleaner antlers. :ROFLMAO: I don't have anything out of the ordinary now, but when I get my butterfly garden finished, I want to make a wood intarsia of bambi with a butterfly on his tail to put in the middle of the flowers.

Are you able to post pictures of your themed flamingos? I would love to poach your creative ideas. I am already thinking about expanding my flock!

too cool!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Front Bed 3.jpg
No gnomes or flamingoes, just a cross-toed gargoyle (hey, it's a reproduction from Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris France, so it must be tasteful!). Neighbors think I have a statue of a coyote in our front flower bed. Good thing they can't see the griffin we have in the backyard flower bed.

Ask a Question