Syrups or toppings for breakfast items

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love pure maple syrup, even as a kid - wet nuts (walnuts in maple syrup) was an ice cream luxury I swore I would eat more of when I grew up and could afford it.

Favorite is maple syrup and fresh strawberries on buck wheat pancakes.

I grew up with blackstrap, molasses and sorghum that we used on toast, to cook with (cornbread, baked beans, ham glaze, etc) and never had kayro or corn syrup until I was a teen. Even then it was no comparison to the real stuff.

Now, I find that we live about 5 miles from a whole community of sorghum farmers who raise and sugar it down to syrup. They are renowned in our area and the state, and have won awards around the nation, http://muddypondsorghum.com

I love their syrup, and it is very well done on all fronts.

What are others using and why?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I love maple syrup too. Never had sorghum syrup. I have bought sorghum powder while attempting to creTe gluten free edibles for friends.

I have the constitution of a donkey from red deer. Can eat anything without consequences.

But I do love maple syrup, then caramel, then butterscotch, then .....

now I'm hungry...

going to nèd bigger pants. ...

Reaction score
That sounds like a delicious idea, I have never tried wet nuts, but I'll surely try it now that I know about it; next time I have ice cream. I've always used maple syrup when eating pancakes, my mother preferred actually honey and marmalade (yikes!).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My husband grew up on a farm in Michigan. His parents (of course) still live on the property. Though the farmland is now rented out to other farmers, the only thing his parents still do every year is make 100% pure Michigan maple syrup.

To say I didn't know good maple syrup before I met my husband is an understatement.

I'm a complete syrup snob now. And we have basically a life-time supply so that's good. I've taken to using it for much more than pancakes. It is an all around excellent alternative to sugar when it comes to baking. I use it on squash and in other "savory" meals quite a bit too.

I love that it doesn't give me the same headache that Aunt Jemima used to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
My husband has English muffins with butter and honey most mornings. I must admit I'm not a breakfast person, and don't particularly enjoy sweet tasting foods. My breakfast is a cup of coffee and a breath of fresh country air, unless the skunks have been frolicking that night.

Ask a Question