Swiss Cheese VIne

Reaction score
Country
United States
Soooo.. I made a post a while back looking for suggestions for plant shops in my area. I didn't get any suggestions but I found a garden center with a amazing house plant section near by.
I was looking for a low light plant and pointed out one that I liked. I asked if it was low light and was told that it was, Yay!
Once I got home I got to googling. The plant is labeled Pilodendron, just like the garden center said it was. I could not find any Pilodendron in a vine. So I searched swiss cheese plant and found it. Apparently this is a high light plant. I'm pretty bummed as I don't really have a sunny house and I'm pretty limited to where I can place it because one of my cats is a jerk. Has anyone had luck with these plants in lower light situation? It's a beautiful plant and I paid $20 for it so I would defiantly like to keep it alive! I thought I could treat i just like my pothos plants :S

Thanks!
swisscheese1.jpg
swisscheese.jpg
pil.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you! It is shortly after midnight, and this is the first thing I have learned today! :D

According to the University of Wisconsin Extension of the Master Gardener's Program, it's in the Philodendron family, but actually is an evergreen Liana. It is a a trailing or climbing epiphytic vine. (So when you repot it, use a soil intended for, I want to say orchids...? :confused:.)

It's an "air plant" so will require good air flow and drainage around the roots.

http://wimastergardener.org/article/split-leaf-philodendron-monstera-deliciosa/

This is a picture of the roots of a split-leaf philodendron in its natural environment. :D

upload_2017-9-8_0-30-19.jpeg

Jenjo, yours is a Monstera obliqua . :cool:

I want one just so I can tell people the name!! (y) :ROFLMAO:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Soooo.. I made a post a while back looking for suggestions for plant shops in my area. I didn't get any suggestions

I went and had a look at that thread - it's not that no one wanted to help you, Jenjo - it's that we can't. (We don't know your area!! :).) If my memory is correct, we have 2 regular posters from NY. One in Long Island, and one is upstate.

My advice is to look up greenhouses and/or nurseries in your area, and try them. :unsure: (But, with summer winding to an end, most of the ones in my area are closing for the season.)
You might try calling some local florists and asking them what they have in the way of houseplants. (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went and had a look at that thread - it's not that no one wanted to help you, Jenjo - it's that we can't. (We don't know your area!! :).) If my memory is correct, we have 2 regular posters from NY. One in Long Island, and one is upstate.

My advice is to look up greenhouses and/or nurseries in your area, and try them. :unsure: (But, with summer winding to an end, most of the ones in my area are closing for the season.)
You might try calling some local florists and asking them what they have in the way of houseplants. (y)

Hi Mary,

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk. I was just saying that I had made another post and that although I didn't get any suggestions I still found a cool shop and was excited about it. Luckily this one is open year round too!

I guess I should have worded it better :)
I have checked google and made a little list to check I was just hoping someone knew the sweet spots :)

Thanks for your advice, I had not thought of florists.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! It is shortly after midnight, and this is the first thing I have learned today! :D

According to the University of Wisconsin Extension of the Master Gardener's Program, it's in the Philodendron family, but actually is an evergreen Liana. It is a a trailing or climbing epiphytic vine. (So when you repot it, use a soil intended for, I want to say orchids...? :confused:.)

It's an "air plant" so will require good air flow and drainage around the roots.

http://wimastergardener.org/article/split-leaf-philodendron-monstera-deliciosa/

This is a picture of the roots of a split-leaf philodendron in its natural environment. :D

View attachment 26948

Jenjo, yours is a Monstera obliqua . :cool:

I want one just so I can tell people the name!! (y) :ROFLMAO:

Wow! That looks unreal! Thanks for sharing!

I had watched a video that mentioned drainage and that they like what orchids like. That worrys me! I have had an orchid for years but Id doesn't seem too happy and has never bloomed. Maybe I'll repot it too, I doubt I had the correct soil for it when I bought it on the $1 rack.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I didn't mean to sound like a jerk.

:eek: Oh, no!! I was not at all trying to imply that. I was only explaining, trying to tell you that we are not the jerks!! (y) If you read enough threads here, you'll notice most of us try to stay away from the big box stores. You are usually going to find better plants and more knowledgeable staff at a Mom and Pop shop.

Wow! That looks unreal! Thanks for sharing!

Isn't it cool? :cool: :D (I snitched it from the link I gave.)

I have had an orchid for years but Id doesn't seem too happy and has never bloomed. Maybe I'll repot it too, I doubt I had the correct soil for it when I bought it on the $1 rack.

You got an orchid on the $1 rack? Well done!! (y) I "made" the soil for mine, I kept forgetting to buy the right soil when I was anywhere that would have it. :rolleyes: We had a chunk of an old tree in the back yard that had sat through the winter and the bark was peeling off. I took off chunks of it, broke them into smaller pieces of various sizes, and it worked!! (y)

Next time I repot it, I'm going to use some of the charcoal from a used aquarium filter, and put it in a clay pot. Clay will breathe, so it's better than plastic. (It doesn't seem too unhappy in its coffee cup. :).)

0904171441.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Bromeliads?

Wouldn't they use Orchid potting mix, too? :unsure: I killed one using regular potting soil.:(

I wasn't absolutely sure that Orchid potting mix would be the soil to use for JenJo's Monstera obliqua, I was hoping someone with more knowledge of the plant would come along and "yea or nay" me!! :unsure: (Epiphytic plants are still relatively new to me.)

I found this site from "Orchids for Dummies" and it tells the pros and cons of different mediums to use for orchids, and is followed by "recipes" for DIY potting mix. I decided just to post the link when I figured out I was going to be pasting the whole page!! :whistle:

http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/gardening/flower-gardening/deciding-on-a-potting-mix-for-orchids/

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wouldn't they use Orchid potting mix, too? :unsure: I killed one using regular potting soil.:(

I wasn't absolutely sure that Orchid potting mix would be the soil to use for JenJo's Monstera obliqua, I was hoping someone with more knowledge of the plant would come along and "yea or nay" me!! :unsure: (Epiphytic plants are still relatively new to me.)

I found this site from "Orchids for Dummies" and it tells the pros and cons of different mediums to use for orchids, and is followed by "recipes" for DIY potting mix. I decided just to post the link when I figured out I was going to be pasting the whole page!! :whistle:

http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/gardening/flower-gardening/deciding-on-a-potting-mix-for-orchids/
Hi again!

I know it's been forever and a day since I replied but I swapped computer since and forgot all about this site! Now that the holidays are over I'm back obsessing about plants! I took your advice of using orchid soil, I mixed it with some regular soil because the stuff I found was large bark.I think I it is doing well. Though some of the new leaves are browning before opening. I'm thinking it might be the radiator. I'm going to make a new post and share a photo of it.

Thanks for all your help :)

Ask a Question