Sweet Star Amaryllis Care

Sorali

Floral Fledgling
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

I just recently joined this forum (a few minutes ago, actually) because I have a plant that I desperately need help learning to care for. My older sister recently passed away and I was asked by my grandmother and father to care for her funeral flowers. The flowers are labeled as "Sweet Star amaryllis" and have all begun blooming since I received them (it has been one week exactly). These flowers mean a great deal to me and my family, but I don't know the first thing about how to properly care for them... I haven't been able to find much information online about caring for a Sweet Star specifically and I'm not sure if it requires different care from other types of amaryllis plants.

If anyone is able to answer any (or all) of the questions below, I would be super grateful. I am very new to caring for flowering plants, so please don't hesitate to correct me on anything or let me know if better pictures are needed.

Main Questions:
  1. Is the pot big enough for this type of plant? (See picture)
  2. Do I need to prune the plant or cut off any of the flowers at any point?
  3. My father gave me some plant food; is this type of food safe for amaryllis plants? (See picture)
  4. How much/often should I be watering it? I've just been keeping the soil moist because I was afraid of overwatering.
  5. Do you have any other care tips/words of wisdom?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20230115_094748.jpg
    20230115_094748.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230115_094811.jpg
    20230115_094811.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230115_094728.jpg
    20230115_094728.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230115_094710.jpg
    20230115_094710.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230115_094247.jpg
    20230115_094247.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230115_094821.jpg
    20230115_094821.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am guessing, but I reckon 'Sweet star' is just a name and it will be the same care as any others

I get given amaryllis regularly, and they always seem to be in small pots. The next year they are usually rootbound, so when I replant I put them in much larger ones, and they seem to love it.

I take the flowers off when they are finished, otherwise I only remove dead leaves when they die down at the end of the season.

I'm afraid I have no idea about the food.

Keeping it 'moist' sounds about right to me, certainly not too wet. they often come in fancy bowls that don't have a drainage hole, that can be a recipe for disaster.

When they finish and start to die down a bit hold back on the watering, then lift the bulbs and keep them cold for a few weeks before re-planting. A lot of people put them in the salad drawer in the bottom of the fridge, but there is something about apples that leaves them sterile, so you mustn't have any in the fridge.

And lastly, welcome to the forum, it can open up a whole world :)

Sorali

Floral Fledgling
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am guessing, but I reckon 'Sweet star' is just a name and it will be the same care as any others

I get given amaryllis regularly, and they always seem to be in small pots. The next year they are usually rootbound, so when I replant I put them in much larger ones, and they seem to love it.

I take the flowers off when they are finished, otherwise I only remove dead leaves when they die down at the end of the season.

I'm afraid I have no idea about the food.

Keeping it 'moist' sounds about right to me, certainly not too wet. they often come in fancy bowls that don't have a drainage hole, that can be a recipe for disaster.

When they finish and start to die down a bit hold back on the watering, then lift the bulbs and keep them cold for a few weeks before re-planting. A lot of people put them in the salad drawer in the bottom of the fridge, but there is something about apples that leaves them sterile, so you mustn't have any in the fridge.

And lastly, welcome to the forum, it can open up a whole world :)
Reading through your response has really helped put my mind at ease. That's a neat bit of info! I'll be sure to take the apples out of the fridge whenever I'm ready to put the bulbs in. I've searched and searched to see if the plant food is safe for amaryllis plants, but can't find anything on it. I've decided to take a chance and place one in; I'm just going to keep a close eye on it for the time being. It seems like you really know your stuff and I appreciate all of your thorough and helpful advice!!

And thanks, glad to be here! :)

Ask a Question