Sweet Basil and Rosemary

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We just got some sweet basil and rosemary plants the other day from the store and have them sitting in the kitchen window right now. There is a lot of sun through much of the day through that window.... is that a bad thing for them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I believe it's a good thing:) Most herbs like getting a lot of sun. I've never grown sweet basil, but I have a few basil plants and they all need a lot of sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The instructions on the rosemary said partial sun... but the rosemary seems to be doing better up there then the basil. We still need to transplant them, but we are going to give them time to adjust to the new environment.

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I see Rosemary in full sun all the time. It is used often here in San Diego. Most people are not even using it as an herb but more like a hedge. It seems to be drought resistant and grows fairly quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Both sweet basil and rosemary can take lot of sun. I grow mine in containers and they sat in full sun, especially the afternoon sun, but they do get to cool off in the early morning and evening as the sun is not beating down on them during these times.

Yours will be just fine!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh Ok... right now I am worried though because the Rosemary is doing beautifully the basil... not so much. We have trimmed it dang near bare to get the dieing leaves off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm wondering if your basil is getting enough sun through the window? Basil likes full sun...I'm thinking in your climate you could try putting it outside for a while every day. Also give it plenty of water - rosemary does fine without much water but basil needs more.

I grow both sweet and Thai basil every year; I put them out with the full-sun veggies and water them along with everything else. The drier-climate herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage) stays on my front porch where it's partly shaded and I petty much don't water them at all. Mind you I'm in Michigan and we often have rainy summers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It is getting plenty of sun. A friend of mine says they are getting too much water, so I haven't watered them in a couple of days. They are still alive but don't look any better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It is getting plenty of sun. A friend of mine says they are getting too much water, so I haven't watered them in a couple of days. They are still alive but don't look any better.

A couple of days?

You are drowning the poor things and perhaps rotting the roots. Look up the weather conditions of these plants in their natural habitats. A couple of weeks between watering is probably appropriate. Let the soil dry out completely between watering.

One of the most common reasons people kill house and other plants is over-watering. Google it.

Ask a Question