Sweet Pea

Reaction score
Country
United States
'Sweet-peas' not 'Sweat Peas'...

I have a large self-seeding population of Cupani Sweet-pea (Lathyrus odoratus 'Cupani') in my garden. Cupani Sweet-peas are a garden cultivar that maintains many of the benefits of the native, wild Sweet-peas of Sicily and southern Italy. This cultivar traces its origins back to 1699 when an Italian Monk, Francesco Cupani began to collect and distribute seeds of the wild species.

Lathyrus odoratus 'Cupani' is more vigorous, and heat tolerant than many other cultivars, and it's floral color pattern of a red-violet banner and blue-violet wings and keel is similar to wild forms. however, it does also differ from the wild species in various ways, such as producing more flowers per raceme.

Interestingly, even though there has been little or no cross-pollination with other varieties, the variation in flower color of my panmictic garden population has steadily diversified. Besides, the regular color form. I now also often find both lighter and darker color forms, that vary from very light pink to dark maroon. This interesting development loosely reminds me of the famous experiments of another monk, Gregor Mendel. Though of course, Mendel used the edible Garden Pea (Pisum sativum), not the inedible Sweet-pea (Lathyrus odoratus) for his studies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Sweet Peas Florencecourt

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've got one :)

DSC05918.JPG

I've edited the thread title for you too Louis :)

Ask a Question