Survival of the fittest

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
zinnias.jpg
I got this experience of survival of the fittest in my garden. I got some zinnia seeds online. They germinated pretty well. Since I thought that the rains had subsided I transplanted the seedlings in pots that were placed outside. The unpredictable weather brought down heavy rain and these plants did not do well. There was just one plant that stayed under the canopy. You can see the difference.

zinnias.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
That happened to me with gerberas - they're my favorite flower so I decided to plant them in my yard last year. They were doing just fine until the Japanese rainy season rolled on in, and then it was a disaster, they just weren't resilient enough to hold up to that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
In our compost bin, some of the leftover vegetables have seeds particularly squash and pepper. There are time that they sprout and thrive, naturally they grow fast because they are there on the compost. When the squash starts to grow into a vine, it seems nothing can stop it. There was a time that it even climbed the nearest cashew tree. So I guess squash is the winner when it comes to survival.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
In our compost bin, some of the leftover vegetables have seeds particularly squash and pepper. There are time that they sprout and thrive, naturally they grow fast because they are there on the compost. When the squash starts to grow into a vine, it seems nothing can stop it. There was a time that it even climbed the nearest cashew tree. So I guess squash is the winner when it comes to survival.
These things happen that have no explanation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are beautiful and zinnias are my favorite summer flowers. They tolerate the heat very well and last through November here in my State. Glad yours bloomed and looking pretty!

Ask a Question