Sunken Container Garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My house is essentially a blank canvas as far as landscaping goes. After a lot of thought and Pinteresting, I've decided that I would love a sunken container garden in my front yard because:

A) I like clean designs where everything has its place (that's the accountant in me).
B) I still don't have the highest confindence in my gardening skills, so if I end up killing a plant it would be easy to remove and replace.
C) I like the flexibilty if I decide to change plants with the season (probably just move/alternate plants to the back yard for out of season plants).

Now, I do understand that there's some limitations with this as far as choosing plants that work well in containers. But considering I don't like the idea of very large plants in the first place, I think this wil work out well enough.

However, whenever I talk about this idea with others (most specifically my mother) they look at me as if I've grown a second head or something. I don't think the idea seems that bad or strange, but maybe I'm wrong. Am I crazy for thinking a sunken container garden is even a remotely good idea?

Examples:
c6438085441229f38c26a5958fb906f7.jpg df149c55fb4e61a48eb06e9976b76900.jpg e1a4364f30603d8a7d30a332e8c00123.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
My house is essentially a blank canvas as far as landscaping goes. After a lot of thought and Pinteresting, I've decided that I would love a sunken container garden in my front yard because:

A) I like clean designs where everything has its place (that's the accountant in me).
B) I still don't have the highest confindence in my gardening skills, so if I end up killing a plant it would be easy to remove and replace.
C) I like the flexibilty if I decide to change plants with the season (probably just move/alternate plants to the back yard for out of season plants).

Now, I do understand that there's some limitations with this as far as choosing plants that work well in containers. But considering I don't like the idea of very large plants in the first place, I think this wil work out well enough.

However, whenever I talk about this idea with others (most specifically my mother) they look at me as if I've grown a second head or something. I don't think the idea seems that bad or strange, but maybe I'm wrong. Am I crazy for thinking a sunken container garden is even a remotely good idea?

Examples:
View attachment 7135 View attachment 7136 View attachment 7137
Hi DeedruhDee,
I must say I've not come across this idea but the images you attached look good. Your logic of being able to move them out of the limelight when not in their prime is great. Goodluck.(y) Show us some pics when you're on your way

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've never heard of this but why not? It seems quite logical!

Mind you my gardening philosophy is probably diametrically opposed to yours as I like some (or a lot of) messy and wild around me. :) But the second photo you posted has a very orderly and serene look; I like it.

Many people think I'm a bit nutty for leaving areas of my yard unmowed and wild or for growing the bulk of my vegetable garden in my front yard. But until they start paying my property taxes I'll do it my way. :) And anyhow I live in a rural-ish odd area almost at the end of a road so its not as if I am truly offending anybody

In short: go for it and post progress photos please!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
m I crazy for thinking a sunken container garden is even a remotely good idea?
The idea is not bad. There are advantages, and disadvantages...

Is this something I would do? Yes, why not?! :whistle:

You can always go back if it does not work for you. And in this case probably nothing at all. (y)

Thank you for posting!

P.S. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
This is an old concept that is quite clever.

people also use it to add instant colour with small pots around the base of both indoor and outdoor planters. It is great for changing out annuals as the season progresses.

good idea!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India

Examples:
View attachment 7135 View attachment 7136 View attachment 7137

I have done that in a project. The only issue here is that the roots will go through the drainage hole in the container into the ground and the plants will grow larger than you would really want to.

Ask a Question