Sunflowers

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Best way? I can describe my way....but not claiming its the best way, but it works for me. I let the heads mature fully on the plant. Then cut them off and store in a dry location not touching other heads. When winter gets going good, I take the whole head out and nail it to something like a fence and watch the entertainment.

Sometimes it really gets going, especially with the Cardinals. As many as 8 to 10 redbirds getting after one head. When they finish, I replace with another. I keep one or two back for seeds for spring....but most go to the birds.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi I am new to all of this. When I went to look today this is what I see. There are tiny yellow things I can pull out. Are the seeds behide this. Not to sure what i am looking for. I am in zone 5. The dark sunflowers look ready but not sure
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No, they're not ready. You don't want to pull those things off while the plant is still yellow, that's what the pollinators pollinate. As the seeds form, the flower will lose its yellow center and the entire flower head will get so heavy that the flower will droop. I usually wait for the very back of the flower (the green part) to start turning black and then I cut the flower head from the plant.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks I will follow this advice. Here is what I see on looking at the flowers today. Thanks a bunch will keep an eye on the back of them. Brian

IMG_0147.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love sunflowers! Good to know how to save the seeds! I took this pic of my neighbors sunflowers peeking over the fence!

Attachments

• 1606547397394_640x480.jpg
    1606547397394_640x480.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 59

Ask a Question