Sunflower seeds

Reaction score
Do you harvest your seeds from sunflowers? We have so many sunflowers this year and I keep going back and forth between what to do with them. I'd like to use them to eat, but I love the idea of saving seeds to keep the same "family" growing year after year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't eat sunflower seeds, because I hate them:p In my opinion they're disgusting. But I know that they're very healthy. My whole family loves them. They either eat them raw or roast them on a pan.

Reaction score
I kinda like sunflower seeds, I used to eat the as a kid and my sister's hamsters loved them with great passion. They are not bad. I used to have several sunflowers growing in my garden, but it never occurred to me to save some :(

Reaction score
I have some sunflowers which grew this year from fallen seed last year. I didn't bother to weed them out when I spotted them in the spring. This year, I think I will try soaking them in salt water before roasting them. I'm also looking forward to pumpkin seeds. I was a tradition to scoop out pumpkins for carving at Halloween and saving the seeds to roast and eat later. Anything that extends the bounty of the garden becomes very special as the lovely days of autumn turn into the cold days of winter. I've just used the oven on a lower setting for seeds. Has anyone else used a food dehydrator for sunflower seeds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I try to harvest seeds from every plant or vegetable or fruit I eat. I even do this from produce I buy in the store. Seeds have become so genetically enhanced and cloned that if a blight hit a large area most of that species could be wiped out for good. Sunflowers are easy to grow (if you keep the rabbits away from the young plants) and the seeds are extremely healthy if you don't cook them in oil.

Ask a Question