Suggestions?

Reaction score
I love having fresh plants/flowers in my home but I so bad at gardening that I have a hard time keeping my indoor plants alive. I read the directions that come with the pots but the flowers are seem to wilt off within the week. Any suggestions on a low maintenance plant that looks amazing? I live in Iowa and I tire of the snow very easily and need to see green! Help! :D

Reaction score
It might be the sort of plant that you are trying to keep: I do badly with most "recommended" houseplants during the winter! It is too cool for them next to the window and too dark for them away from the window, so the houseplants that I try do get sick!

I live in Kansas and so far this year I have been able to keep a small ornamental kale plant and a catmint plant healthy in a south kitchen window. I do not know how healthy they will be in February because that is our darkest month of the year, but so far both are healthy!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been wondering if that is my problem because no matter what I do, they seem to die on me. I get a lot of light in my house but since it is an older home it gets quite drafty as well. I just need a plant that is not so picky or maybe I just have to wait until it gets a little warmer and play with all my flowers I have in my front yard. I do not have any idea how to care for them, but I am determined to learn because when I moved in a few months ago, they were lovely and I would hate for them to not be there! :)

Reaction score
It really sounds like you should do some research online before buying a new house plant. When I just started gardening some plants died on me, but everything got better once I picked plants that are easy to take care of. I learnt more and more; one step at a time :) It might take a while, but once you start learning more and more about gardening in general... I'm sure your plants will stop dying :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Have you tried growing polypody? As far as I remember, it was my sister's first plant, she kept it in our bedroom when we were children. It's a very pretty plant and it's easy to grow. Just water it regularly and everything will be okay:)
Here is what it looks like:

baa66229a163755e.jpg

Reaction score
Pothos is virtually impossible to kill! It doesn't require much light but can take plenty of indirect light. Water it once a week - one cup and it should do fine. It is a vining plant but when it gets too long you can cut off the ends and make a new plant or just wind the vine back around and kind of push a length of it in the soil of your pot (keeping the end sticking out) and it will make the pot more full and lush. This plant may just add some green to your home! Good luck.

Reaction score
Don't forget about cacti and succulents. I grew up in Michigan and we had cacti that bloomed and even bore fruit as indoor plants. Sounds like the draft may be the issue for some of the more delicate plants, but I see you have been given some good suggestions for heartier "no kill" plants. Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions I will definitely be on the lookout for some of those plants! I think that is going to be my best option in a plant that is just low maintenance, water and let be. Starting with baby steps I suppose. I can’t wait until I am ready to start being able replant things and have them actually thrive. My husband is so excited I found this forum because he thought our flower gardens were done for! :LOL: I know I am going to be asking a ton of stupid questions but I am glad I have the opportunity to learn!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Shaybearlv, don't worry, I always have tons of questions too:) I'm glad we could help you!
Here is another suggestion: Snake Plant!:)

dscf2187.jpg

This pretty plant is very easy to grow. Just don't overwater it and it'll be fine:D

Reaction score
Oh I really like the Snake Plant! I remember my grandmother having them in her house. How do I know how much is enough water when watering the plants? Should the soil be saturated or damp? I think I may have a problem with over watering or not watering enough because I just have never really known what the correct way is. :unsure:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
And you must try an Orchid if only once well you will get at least 6 weeks of blooms.

Reaction score
Oh I would love love love to have Orchids! :love: They are one of my favorite flowers. It is such a shame they are so picky and difficult. My luck is I’d kill it in less than 6 hours which would probably be a record of some sort. :unsure:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Oh no they really are so easy to grow and look after.Good luck if you choose to get an orchid Shaybearly

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
image.jpg
Oh I really like the Snake Plant! I remember my grandmother having them in her house. How do I know how much is enough water when watering the plants? Should the soil be saturated or damp? I think I may have a problem with over watering or not watering enough because I just have never really known what the correct way is. :unsure:
Snake plants need to be dry during the winter and don't need much water during the rest of the year. Here is one of mine living in a corner. Sorry for the poor photo quality

It will need water and fertilizer once the days start getting longer

Reaction score
The same sort of problem always happened to me, but what I do to avoid having my plants die is to make sure that I get plants that don't have flowers or plants that don't get flowers for a long time. All of the plants I have indoors at the moment don't really grow flowers. I'm not sure how they reproduce (possibly from cuttings), but all I know is that I water them, and they don't die or grow any flowers. I will take a picture one time of all the plants I have and post it on the forums.

Ask a Question