Suggestions for Salad Greens?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in the Southeast, and I'm looking for varieties that do well all summer, as opposed to just until the weather gets hot. I'm already planning on putting in some New Zealand spinach, because I've read that it is relatively heat-tolerant, and I'm going to put the whole salad patch in the lea of my sunflowers, so the greens can catch the shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You need to check with your local nurseries to see what does well where you are. Not the big box stores, but the smaller specialty places where people actually grow stuff. Also check with your neighbors and see what they are growing and have had past success with. You may also want to plant them where they only receive morning sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm in the Southeast, and I'm looking for varieties that do well all summer, as opposed to just until the weather gets hot. I'm already planning on putting in some New Zealand spinach, because I've read that it is relatively heat-tolerant, and I'm going to put the whole salad patch in the lea of my sunflowers, so the greens can catch the shade.
I live in Texas where it gets really hot and the only greens that do not bolt are New Zealand spinach and Swiss Chard. Chard when picked young is great in salads and when picked mature rivals, or I think, is actually better than steamed spinach. It freezes and cans well also. There is the standard green chard called Fordhook Giant and then there are beautiful colored chards to that many folks grow just to look at.

Ask a Question