Suggestions for mulch?

Reaction score
Country
United States
New here, first time posting. Last year my family moved onto a few acres in central FL and now we're looking to convert a portion of pasture into a garden/orchard area. Not certain the dimensions but it'll be somewhere around 80' x 30'. A friend is bringing his tractor and box blade to dig down the top few inches of the entire area and i'm planning to backfill with mulch, which leads to a few questions:

- Any suggestions on type of mulch? I want something natural and untreated, and was leaning towards a cypress mulch or hardwood blend.

- What would be an ideal depth of mulch to minimize weeds or grass growing through? There'll be some raised beds that are set on bare dirt before the area is backfilled around them, otherwise the entire area will be covered with mulch.

The initial plan is to have a few raised beds on one end and fruit trees spread throughout the rest. This is our first time being on any type of acreage or having any type of expansive garden so any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Have a tree removal company drop off a load of woodchips. They'll do it for free, because they normally have to haul it a long way off and pay for disposal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Tree bark chips if you can. It's a lignin thing that goes mycelial over time and helps the biodome. Plus micro nutrient goodies are found in the growth areas of the trees. Small branches, leaves, outer dermal layers have a better N:C ratio as well, which helps composting. For your sandy soil, burning for char might be useful, biochar-wise. Anything to slow leaching, like Turface or baked clays also. Soil test helps to know existing organic carbon state of soil.

Ask a Question