Suggestions for dry zone 7 trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a and arid
Country
United States
Hi all, I'm looking for suggestions for zone 7a trees. Size and such don't really matter, as I have plenty of room for them. In this area, any land not planted soon turns into tumbleweed and sagebrush fields. I don't mind keeping some of the sagebrush, since it provides good habitat, but the tumbleweeds are worse than useless.

Anyway, we don't get much rain here, so I'm looking for suggestions for trees that can handle only 7"-8" of rainfall a year. I understand the first year would require some additional watering to get the little trees off to a good start. In my dream world, there are towering trees, understory trees, and tall shrubs. Flowering or shade is nice but not a deal breaker. If the trees provide wildlife food and habitat, all the better. Fortunately, we are not bothered by deer here. The trees will start life in full sun. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Forgot to mention, the soil is sandy loam, but alkalinity is about 8. Yikes!

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah sorry, I don't think I can help you a dry climate is non existent here in the northern hemisphere, but I'm sure some of our friends here will be able to help you. :)

Ask a Question