Suggestions for backyard trees

Reaction score
We live in Fresno, California where the temperature can get past 100 degrees in summer. We currently have sequoias in the backyard giving shade to the house from the afternoon sun, otherwise our backyard would be unusable because of the heat during summers. Problems is that the pool that is just inside of the fence (and trees) gets a lot of leaves and also the trees are turning brown. I had posted that problem in a previous post which members who responded felt was due to water shortage. An expert from the "Tree doctor" service came to visit and agreed. So my question is can someone give me recommendations about Talll trees that do not shed leaves but can grow unto 30+ feet so we can get shade and are native to the Central valley california and do not consume a lot of water.
Thank you very much......

Attachments

• 20160222_070823.jpg
    20160222_070823.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 285
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How about the California Bay Laurel? It's evergreen, large, native to California and once established it is tolerant of drought (y)

Plus its leaves smell nice :D

Reaction score
Thank you both for the suggestions, I will explore.......I do have a question though...does the California Bay Laurel or the Eucalyptus shed leaves (or fruit in case of the California Bay laurel). As you might've noticed from the photo, the trees are right next to the pool and it is a huge challenge to clean the pool currently with the sequoia shedding leaves all through the year. Thank you very much.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Most trees will shed some leaves as a natural part of renewal, but most evergreens shed very few and those that fall will cause you little concern. It's a long time since I've had a Eucalyptus but I don't remember clearing up any leaves at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Like @Sheal says, all trees shed leaves - it's just that deciduous trees do it all at once, and evergreen trees do it gradually over time. So with any tree you will get leaves dropping off, but it will be far less of a problem with evergreens.

To minimise the clear up work, you could pick a tree with big leaves - it's better to pick up fewer big leaves than lots of small ones!

Ask a Question