Sub Base for Heavy Clay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning on a garden path on my garden which slopes a little upward from an existing patio. The path will be pebbles or stones and we have heavy clay soil.

Could I get away without a sub base?

Even if the path sinks a little over time, I can just bang down a more stones over the existing ones?

Ta

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes you are correct. I would recommend rock salt be added to prevent weeds also. You know what goo glue it becomes when wet, so escapee stones from the sides will ultimately get mashed into a tapered edge.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

There is no need to put down a separate sub-base on most gravel paths. Just add more for any settling or loss. A wood-chip path also doe snot need a sub-base, but if you do later choose to have a wood-chip path, just leave the gravel and put the wood chips on top.

Two useful methods to add stability. One involves rock size the other rock shape. Firstly, use two or more different sizes of gravel from coarse sand to pea gravel. The smaller pieces fit between the larger ones and the whole path locks into place a bit more. Secondly, use more angular rocks instead of smooth river stones. Some very rough, angular gravels are referred to as deconstructed granite, whether it actually is or not. A mix of angular and rounded stones is also better than all rounded.

Don't put rock salt down in your garden ever! That will just as likely poison the soil in the beds next to the path. Besides, it can be quite nice to let some low trailing plants come up in a gravel path. They softens the edges and add visual interest. The occasional weed that is truly a problem can be easily pulled. There is no need to treat every stray bit of green as a weed problem that must be exterminated.

Ask a Question