Stump the gardener...what is this?

Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure what this is? Are these plum cherries?

20140825_105912.jpg

Reaction score
Many of these are falling and none of them are black or purple. They look like something I saw online called plum cherries. They have a plum like texture but I guess cherries do do. They are a little bit tart. The most color I saw was red. There are a bunch of them near the conservation shooting range I was thinking about making a little jelly or something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Many of these are falling and none of them are black or purple. They look like something I saw online called plum cherries. They have a plum like texture but I guess cherries do do. They are a little bit tart. The most color I saw was red. There are a bunch of them near the conservation shooting range I was thinking about making a little jelly or something.
Come to think about it I haven't ever seen any black or purple ones either I don't think. Just bright red when ripe and not hard as a rock. Maybe the one's down here aren't Mexican after all. They are tart though and when unripe bitter. We hardly ever get any though because the birds get them first. Many years ago we had a few trees on the property but now I only see them wild in pastures

Reaction score
Country
United States
These look like Myrobalan Plums (Prunus cerasifera), also known as Cherry-plums. This species is native to southeastern Europe and western Asia, but the species has also become widely naturalized in Europe, North America and elsewhere. Besides the typical green-leaved form, there are also purple-leaved cultivars of the Cherry-plum which are popular ornamental trees. The fruit of the Myrobalan is edible, with a taste similar to that of its close relatives, plums and cherries (Prunus spp.).

Ask a Question