Studded tires for my lawn sweeper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I should have done this decades ago.

Beside too much shade, my lawn can also drown my grass in so low spots but also the sheer quantity of hardwood leaves can build up and smother the grass in large areas.

I have a cheapo craftsman lawn sweeper, probably the same kit as agri-fab. Constantly shove too much at it and the little wheels lock up and slide, shutting down the rotating brushes, and sometimes reversing is not enough to clear its feed throat.

I got pissed at it today because, 1) its getting chilly and 2) I am old and do not suffer idiots as I really should. The people designed it to be cheap, and it is, but in my school things work or they are a failed design, price is only one component of a product.

So enter a rest period involving a few beers, a relatively new 18v lithium drill driver, and a box of sharp tipped 1" screws.

I alternated screws in the tires at 1 inch travel. I tried to sink 3/4 but they are not perfect.

Seriously, I should have done this 20 years ago. I got more done in the last hour than the previous afternoon.

Now I am seriously eyeballing my self propelled mower for the same treatment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I should have done this decades ago.

Beside too much shade, my lawn can also drown my grass in so low spots but also the sheer quantity of hardwood leaves can build up and smother the grass in large areas.

I have a cheapo craftsman lawn sweeper, probably the same kit as agri-fab. Constantly shove too much at it and the little wheels lock up and slide, shutting down the rotating brushes, and sometimes reversing is not enough to clear its feed throat.

I got pissed at it today because, 1) its getting chilly and 2) I am old and do not suffer idiots as I really should. The people designed it to be cheap, and it is, but in my school things work or they are a failed design, price is only one component of a product.

So enter a rest period involving a few beers, a relatively new 18v lithium drill driver, and a box of sharp tipped 1" screws.

I alternated screws in the tires at 1 inch travel. I tried to sink 3/4 but they are not perfect.

Seriously, I should have done this 20 years ago. I got more done in the last hour than the previous afternoon.

Now I am seriously eyeballing my self propelled mower for the same treatment.
And not only that but you also are aerating your lawn.....for free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is that time again. This year running sharp mulching blades while sweeping with the improved sweeper yielded 7 big piles of finely chopped leaves and grass. This beats the whole leaf method by far, where I would have had a bunch more piles. And our leaves have only started coming down. There are so many more up there that we are still in the shade. Of course it will be 78 tomorrow, the day before Halloween, so it will be a long fall leaf season. It is all about some good compost and that mulched grass leaf mix will be excellent.

Ask a Question