Strelitzia reginae - Bird of Paradise

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I had picked up a plant from my sister's garden and today I feel the need to uproot quite a number of them as they just proliferate. These flowers have a season. They remain dormant and just around the end of summer they show up. They stay on the plant for several days. Once the flower dries up the plant needs to be pulled out too.

bdrofpara.jpg
babiesbrdprd.jpg
bparwithixora.jpg

Reaction score
I was actually wondering how long I'd have to wait for you to show us a bird of paradise plant ;) I didn't know for sure you had one or knew someone who had one, but I had the feeling you did. Lol, and look now! You do, you indeed do :O Very beautiful by the way, over here they're highly appreciated by florists.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I was actually wondering how long I'd have to wait for you to show us a bird of paradise plant ;) I didn't know for sure you had one or knew someone who had one, but I had the feeling you did. Lol, and look now! You do, you indeed do :O Very beautiful by the way, over here they're highly appreciated by florists.
I am so glad you like them. There are many varieties but I have only one.

Reaction score
I hate to say this - but although your beautiful plant is commonly known as A False Bird of Paradise or Hanging Lobster Claw its botanical name is Heliconia Rostrata and not a Strelitzia Reginae :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I hate to say this - but although your beautiful plant is commonly known as A False Bird of Paradise or Hanging Lobster Claw its botanical name is Heliconia Rostrata and not a Strelitzia Reginae :)

Just when I thought I atleast got one name right :LOL: You see I may be a good gardener but when it comes to names I am a zero. Thanks for letting me know the correct name. gata montes. (y)

Actually I like the false bird of paradise to the real one :)

Reaction score
Just when I thought I atleast got one name right :LOL: You see I may be a good gardener but when it comes to names I am a zero. Thanks for letting me know the correct name. gata montes. (y)

Actually I like the false bird of paradise to the real one :)

No problem and to be honest I think its the same for many - so no worries :D but that said - the main reason for mentioning it was because - knowing the correct botanical name of a plant generally helps to ensure that you are giving it the right growing conditions and care - which is especially so in the case of plants commonly known as Bird of Paradise - as all require totally different care and growing conditions - in fact a good example of this would be one of the trees I have in my garden - which although it is commonly known as " The Bird of Paradise Tree " - as it comes from a totally different plant family than all the other plants commonly known by the same name - requires totally different care too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Botanical names of plants can be so confusing! Don't worry, Grouie, I don't know most of them either.
Your plant is truly gorgeous, this is all that matters:) It does remind me of a paradise bird.

Ask a Question