Strawberry plant help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I bought a few strawberry plants from home depot about a month ago. They had several plants in a planter and they were all producing strawberries. I transplanted them to my garden and they seem to look pretty lively. They aren't producing very many strawberries though and the ones they are producing, ripen when they are about dime size.

I have no earthly idea what kind of strawberries they are, they were not marked so I don't recall know if this is something that is normal for certain varieties. This is my first time trying my luck with strawberries.

We have had record rainfall this month in South east texas and now getting temperatures in the high 90's with heat indexes around 110. Would this cause the small berry issue?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Not a strawberry expert but maybe some thoughts. Perhaps these are an everbearing variety opposed to june bearing and produce smaller berries. Perhaps this variety is more for quality fruit as opposed to larger more colorful but less tasty berries you might find in stores. Generaly speaking it used to be suggested flowers be removed when plants first transplanted to allow them to get established before using energy to produce fruit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Seems to me your plants may be stressed.
Plants try to fruit when they are stressed, as they "fear" it is their last chance.
My advice would be this:
Give up this year's crop as lost.
Learn how to take strawberry runners (it's very simple but has to be done right) and when your plants throw out runners, replace your stock with the new plants you'll have.
Plant them by September and you should have a great crop next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am just looking around and couldn't give any kind of help. Strawberry amuses me no end because it looks imported although there are strawberry farms somewhere in the northern part of the country. I hope to see photos of your harvest.. when they give you a good one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Damn.
It's a great year for strawberries here; late but big crops.
I've just pureed 3lbs and made them into strawberry sorbet.

Ask a Question