Strawberries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, What a lovely, friendly feel this group has!
I am new here today and very new to anything gardening. My question, I am sorry if it is a silly one, is can you buy strawberry plants that already has fruits on them. I have searched the net but can't seem to find out yes or no. The reason I am asking is that my Dad wants to grow strawberries and has done since his recent move into his new property. Out of the blue, we have just found out he is quite unwell. I really don't know where to start looking or if it is possible . Thank you for reading and thank you for any advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be surprised, the standard advice is to take all the flowers off new strawberries the first year as you will get more than twice as many to make up for it the next. Obviously not helpful to you.
It is not something I have followed, but there are a lot of new strawberry cultivars that promise things like year round fruiting though. You could check the catalogue of some of the more adventurous seed merchants like Thompson and Morgan. They can sometimes be, shall we say, 'a bit optimistic' in their expectations.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be surprised, the standard advice is to take all the flowers off new strawberries the first year as you will get more than twice as many to make up for it the next. Obviously not helpful to you.
It is not something I have followed, but there are a lot of new strawberry cultivars that promise things like year round fruiting though. You could check the catalogue of some of the more adventurous seed merchants like Thompson and Morgan. They can sometimes be, shall we say, 'a bit optimistic' in their expectations.
Thank you so much for your advice and information Oliver I will certainly look into year round fruiting.

Ask a Question