Strawberries

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am literally days new to gardening and I need some advice. I Bought a strawberry plant it was doing good but this morning the plants are wilted. I decided to transfer the plant to a bigger container right now I have it indoors because we are having horrible weather.

Reaction score
Country
United States
how are the temps, I would gather if its not cold enough to freeze the pots solid leave them out.
I grew Strawberries in one of those pyramid style planters. I found it to be more of a challenge than just planting them in the ground.
how is your potting soil, any idea of its ph or nutrient levels?
Strawberries are like a lot of fruiting plants. The out come of this years berry production is related to how well those plants where growing last fall.
If your not getting freezing cold nights put it where you think its going to stay and let it do its thing. Maybe cut back on the water a smidge.
I used Espoma BerryTone fertilizer on my Ever bearing Berries , going by my grand mothers tips feed in early spring just before the hot days of summer and early fall. The planter I had decade rather quickly in the sun and im back to in ground growing.

Oh and learn to ID the runners and prune them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right now its 10:11pm and its 48 outside it is supposed to be raining all week, when I bought the plant it was in the plant section at my hardware store lol I don't think it is used to the cold yet. Also, I should add that I bought a bell pepper plant and a tomato plant at the same time so I have them along with other plants on a table by my window where they will get some sort of sun (not much) I did buy a light for them I am expecting tomorrow. I also read that strawberry plants should not be next to tomato plants? I moved the plant a few feet away from them, changed the plant to a bigger pot with new soil we will see how it goes. I am also thinking of adding some fertilizer to it my only concern is the last soil it was planted in had fertilizer in it so I am not sure if it is okay to give more I still need to research that. No runners yet I did hear about them in a video I will definitely keep my eye open for those and eliminate the suckers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right now its 10:11pm and its 48 outside it is supposed to be raining all week, when I bought the plant it was in the plant section at my hardware store lol I don't think it is used to the cold yet. Also, I should add that I bought a bell pepper plant and a tomato plant at the same time so I have them along with other plants on a table by my window where they will get some sort of sun (not much) I did buy a light for them I am expecting tomorrow. I also read that strawberry plants should not be next to tomato plants? I moved the plant a few feet away from them, changed the plant to a bigger pot with new soil we will see how it goes. I am also thinking of adding some fertilizer to it my only concern is the last soil it was planted in had fertilizer in it so I am not sure if it is okay to give more I still need to research that. No runners yet I did hear about them in a video I will definitely keep my eye open for those and eliminate the suckers.
Im not a good enough gardener to know if stawberries/tomatoes co mingle well or not. I would think theres a PH factor involved there. So if your container growing not a issue?
Anyway @48’F I would have all my potted out door plants out full time by now. I would buy a few more strawberry plants just in case.
Im wary of the hardware/box store plants , strawberries are pretty hardy/tough plants. Basically the only thing I have seen really do mine in is long hot humid summers.
My garden slipped into poor shape over the past few years. Appears I was not amending the soil as well as I thought
PH was out of wack. Nutrients where all low. Did a soil test and back on track.
Only sign things are better is my blueberry bushes have never looked so good and a tired old rose bush has alot of new growth. Strawberries still have not really popped out but we are still dropping into the 30s here at night

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tomatoes and strawberries should grow in the same soil but I would not grow them together because eventually if you don't keep the runners from going in that direction you won't be able to step over to your tomato plants without stepping on the strawberry plants.

I wouldn't plant the strawberries until all that rain has passed If I could help it. Got a pic of the strawberries? Are they still wilted after watering them in the pot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have half a dozen strawberry plants I grew from runners last year. They have been sitting on the North side of my greenhouse in pots all winter and look fine, I shall be planting them out shortly and will take all the flowers off this year, you get a shed load more fruit next year. The aim is to have four rows, three fruiting and one new, then the next year lose the four year old plants, they will be getting past it.
Not quite there, but we should get a good few strawberries this summer.

I have a couple of strawberry planters with side pockets that I have been given over the years. I grow things in them, but not strawberries, they do like a fair bit of room. I would get your plant outside and leave it alone for a bit to see what happens, I have known strawberries lose almost all their leaves and come back from the center to make a decent plant once they acclimatise.

Ask a Question