Strawberries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all I’m a very new gardener so will be looking for lots of advice in learning the ropes.

firstly I have some strawberry’s growing and my question may come across more complicated than it should be but I’ll try my best!

so last year I bought some strawberry plants from runners that obviously hadn’t grew any fruit before and they didn’t last year as they were too young ( I’m guessing )

anyway at the end of last year I managed to get some some runners from them plants :/ oh god I’m confused myself

SO this year my runners from the last lot has flowers ! Is this normal or not ..

bassicly what I’m asking is what do I do when strawberry plant has flowers !!

Please make it simple for me

Reaction score
Country
United States
Leave the flowers alone and allow them to fruit into strawberries. I like to put straw or hay under the berries to keep them off the ground. The flowers produce strawberries and that's what you want. Be patient because it can take a while, but you are on the right track.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May I just clarify something? The plants with flowers, are those the original strawberry plants or, the plants which began as runners from the original plants at the end of last year?
If they are from the runners which sprouted from the original plants you purchased, what did you do with the original plants?

Flowers, at this time of year are your baby fruits waiting to happen. You need to keep them watered so they do not dry out and so you end up with juicy berries. By June, if the birds don't get them first, you will have berries to munch nom-nom-nom!!!
To prevent birds beating you to the fruits, you may want to cover them with an old net curtain (push some bamboo canes around your strawberry patch to drape the net curtain over the plants to prevent birds getting your fruits yet keeping room above and around the plants. Not essential, but you get more fruits to yourself that way).

Strawberry plants will grow back each year. After they flower, they fruit; after they have stopped fruiting, they send out runners. You have choices by that time: you could a) pot on the runners to increase your strawberry stocks for next year; or b) cut off the runners before they form so more energy goes into the strawberry plant instead of being spent on developing the runners.

Last year my few strawberry plants sent out runners, but I did not cut them off, nor did I transplant them. They just fell where they wanted (in a raised veg trug) and I left them to their own devices. Today those runners have rooted themselves and now, both the original plants plus the self rooted runners, are all in glorious flower. I feel a bumper crop coming on :LOL:.

I will permit mine to send out runners again this year, but I will root them up in pots later in the season. Why? Because my raised veg trug is falling to pieces and the plants will need to have a new home; it will suffice only for this season.

Good luck with your strawberries, sounds like you are onto a winner there (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So to start with the original plants are still here and flowering and doing really well.

the runners from the originals are the ones I was asking about as I got told for the first year of a new plant to chop off the flower to make it stronger and have better fruits next year?

The original didn’t produce any fruit last year I’m unsure why but this year they seem to be doing well and as I said before the runners are doing well too.

my strawberry plants live in a greenhouse on staging so away from eyes in the sky and also away from eyes on the ground too :) they get a water even few days to keep the soil moist to stop it drying out oh and they have also had a little fish blood and bone meal too

hope that clears things up I hate doing this thing I loose myself and struggle explaining things

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems to me you are explaining things pretty well, and the advice from @Arden Sage added to what you have already achieved will bring great results.
You provide the strawberries - and we`ll supply the cream (y)(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK it is to be expected that runners which have enough time to establish themselves before May, will produce flowers and fruit that year.
When they have produced a decent number of flowers, feed them once a week with half-strength tomato food.
Protect from birds, especially blackbirds, with strawberry netting.

Ask a Question