Strawberries in a 4x10 planter box?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi all,
I live in central Iowa and I am wanting to plant some strawberries in a 4x10 painter box. My question are, is this possible and can I put some other things in the same box? Attached is a pictures of my two boxes. Thank you for helping out a gardening nooby!

Bryan

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 284

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I grow native Wild Strawberries right in my native plant garden and they do well since they're used to growing in those kind of conditions. I'm not sure how varieties sold in stores would differ, but I imagine they would also be able to grow around other plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I will hit up my local garden shop and see what different kinds they have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You certainly can plant strawberries there, but get your skates on,
3 rows at 8"/24"/40" x 8 plants = 24 per box.
There are many, many other things you could grow there, but here's a suggestion, grow strawberries in one side for five years, then the other side for the same.
This will give your soil a rest, and you can grow other things meantime.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your strawberry's will be so happy in those. Just make sure you give them the right spacing. Off the top of my head, lettuce, beans, peas and onions grow well with strawberries. You can look up companion gardening to find out more and choose what's best for you :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can plant more than one thing in these containers. Just beware that strawberries tend to get larger and wider so give them some room to grow. I like the style of your planter box. It looks really nice. Happy gardening!

Ask a Question