Strawberries are swelling up

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Gonna need a feed soon, started some liquid compost off last week.

DSCI0235.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
They're looking good. I haven't planted strawberries this year but I do plan on them next year along with raspberries. My rhubarb is finally looking like it might do something as last year it didn't look that great. I'm lucky enough to be living right next to a huge field and we have blueberries in abundance there. I just grab a couple of bowls and spend an afternoon picking blueberries, something, I might add, I detested when I was younger as it would take hours upon hours to have just a small cup filled up. Mind you, there was the tiny detail that I would eat a lot of them as well so that's probably why my cup didn't fill up as fast.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They're looking good. I haven't planted strawberries this year but I do plan on them next year along with raspberries. My rhubarb is finally looking like it might do something as last year it didn't look that great. I'm lucky enough to be living right next to a huge field and we have blueberries in abundance there. I just grab a couple of bowls and spend an afternoon picking blueberries, something, I might add, I detested when I was younger as it would take hours upon hours to have just a small cup filled up. Mind you, there was the tiny detail that I would eat a lot of them as well so that's probably why my cup didn't fill up as fast.

Tasting good too, responding well to the liquid feed I made that smells like a dead badger :D

Any chance to show off :D

Take it your Blueberries are what we call Bilberries, only the odd one or two on a bush, spent many a happy hour picking them in the Devils Punch Bowl when I was a kid :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Goodness I hated just sitting there and picking fruit when I could be out there playing or riding my bicycle and now l quite enjoy it. We had plenty of rain over the weekend and my rhubarb has made leaps and bounds. There's much more growing than I had first thought, several other spots have sprouted and are well on their way. I have a few recipes in line for it when I'm able to harvest it. I've never planted strawberries before, are the different kinds? What would you suggest?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Goodness I hated just sitting there and picking fruit when I could be out there playing or riding my bicycle and now l quite enjoy it. We had plenty of rain over the weekend and my rhubarb has made leaps and bounds. There's much more growing than I had first thought, several other spots have sprouted and are well on their way. I have a few recipes in line for it when I'm able to harvest it. I've never planted strawberries before, are the different kinds? What would you suggest?

It is nice to harvest, we got more idea whats gonna happen to it now we'm older :D

You can get different varieties to extend the cropping season, your local nursery should be able to help with that. Then there are the Alpine and wild ones, smaller fruits but lovely taste :)

You won't get much fruit from a newly planted bed, but they'll crop well for 3 years after, best replace them with new plants after that, but you can propagate those from runners nearer the time :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Sweet! My strawberries just started sprouting up. I have about 3 baby plants at the moment. Hopefully more start popping up.

Ask a Question