Straw Bale Gardening

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw on a show an idea that sounds so good to me I will be using it this spring for my gardens.

They planted all kings of plants in straw bales. The bales are used as raised beds, they keep the root ball warm and feed the plants to grow better.

Anyone here use straw bales?

th

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I saw on a show an idea that sounds so good to me I will be using it this spring for my gardens.

They planted all kings of plants in straw bales. The bales are used as raised beds, they keep the root ball warm and feed the plants to grow better.

Anyone here use straw bales?

th
Before you do it get a big handful of the hay and soak it in a bucket of water for a day or two. Then pour that water on a broad leaf weed like a dandelion or something. If it is still alive in 2 days the hay is safe. Many commercial hay growers use a broad leaf herbicide called Picloram on their fields. This stuff is on the hay and it WILL transfer into your garden soil and plants. Otherwise it is a great way to garden

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a big tip that was not told to the people watching the show. Thanks for the tip. I live in a big city where would I be able to purchase straw when we finally get some good weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is an interesting idea. However, I'm not sure if I'd try it in my garden. Straw bales don't look too tidy. Also, I'm sure my dog would try to destroy them;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
This seems like it would work great at keeping your roots from freezing. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This seems like it would work great at keeping your roots from freezing. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread.
I have seen folks do it here in Texas. The hay lasts about 2 years until it falls apart and becomes compost. It just gets better and the garden gets bigger the longer you do it.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The garden person on the show did say it would last 2 years and that you should not plant the same type of plants the second year that you planted the first year, plant a root plant then a vine I guess is what he was saying.

Ask a Question