Strange tomato leaves problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Croatia
I need a little help identifying what's wrong with my tomatoes. Some of my varieties started developing gold(yes gold like Christmas gold) spots on the leaves.

100_1321.JPG
100_1322.JPG
100_1324.JPG

I went through the list of all possible diseases and none of them look anything like my leaves. Now I'm down to two possible reasons:

A) some kind of deficiency but I'm having trouble identifying which one it is. K, Mg and Cl all look the same.

I use Klasmann potground H 90 and I've never had any problems with any deficiency until this year which has been a nightmare for seedlings.
We've had really bad April with unbelievably warm 20 days with temperatures over 77F and last 10 days temperatures went down to 32F. So i'm guessing too warm start and then very cold drop is making them drain something from the soil. Just don't know what.

B) combination of sun/water damage.

As for sun water damage I have my seedlings in plastic greenhouse covered with fabric cover(nights go under freezing point) .I'm suspecting that this could be damage because when the sun hits I have small water drops on my leaves which could damage leaves when they evaporate.

Anyone has any idea what I'm dealing with?

I should mention that affected varieties are : Absinthe, De Barao black( yellow and red are healthy), Hillbilly, Ola Polka, Gribnoye Lukoshko, Berkeley tie dye and Viva italia.
Other 60 varieties are completely healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
On every picture there is at least one image of an insect that looks a lot like a mealy bug but is slightly out of focus to be sure. Check out the back side of the leaves with a magnifying glass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Croatia
:D Nea those things are not mealy bugs that is small tree trash that falls down on my seedlings while they are outside in the sun. We don't have mealy bugs here. Back side of the tomato leaves are clean, I've checked that. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:D Nea those things are not mealy bugs that is small tree trash that falls down on my seedlings while they are outside in the sun. We don't have mealy bugs here. Back side of the tomato leaves are clean, I've checked that. :)
I do not believe that you have any deficiency. That is actual physical damage from a sucking insect. If not mealy bugs and you cannot see the insect it must be a species of thrips insect. The thrip insect is almost impossible to see with the naked eye. The ones we have here are much smaller than a grain of fine ground black pepper and the damage they do looks exactly what your plants show.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Croatia
I know what thrips look like, I've had it on my tomatoes before but I haven't noticed any insects now.
Anyway, thrips or not it seems I've solved the problem. :)
I've moved my seedlings out of the greenhouse to a sheltered porch and added more substrate + fertilizer to each affected seedling. There haven't been any new affected leaves on any plants. If it was deficiency new soil fixed it and if it was some kind of bug it must have been a very small amount and they just found something better to eat. :LOL:

Ask a Question