Strange light green grass taking over

Reaction score
Country
United States
About 3-4 years ago, I noticed a strange, light green grass growing in my lawn in a sunny area along my driveway. It grows extremely fast. For years I've been pulling it out but now it has spread to the point where pulling is not practical. I've heard that this may be creeping bent? Whatever it is, I want to get rid of it. Is there any product out there that would work selectively?
DSC05156.JPG
DSC05159.JPG
I prefer to go with something "natural". I live in northwestern NJ. Photos attached.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Sometimes it makes me wonder if we just plant the weeds in the garden or in the lawn so we would not need to bother anymore with the cleaning. Our bermuda grass in the small lawn fronting our house is also disturbed by other grasses, about 3 types of grasses are co-existing with the bermuda grass. In the lawn inside, our frog grass is also being bothered by some weeds. We hire a gardener to sort out the grasses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
About 3-4 years ago, I noticed a strange, light green grass growing in my lawn in a sunny area along my driveway. It grows extremely fast. For years I've been pulling it out but now it has spread to the point where pulling is not practical. I've heard that this may be creeping bent? Whatever it is, I want to get rid of it. Is there any product out there that would work selectively?View attachment 8466 View attachment 8467 I prefer to go with something "natural". I live in northwestern NJ. Photos attached.
Have you dug any of it up? From the pics it sure does look a lot like nutsedge. If you dig some up and there are peanut looking nodules then that is what it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
About 3-4 years ago, I noticed a strange, light green grass growing in my lawn in a sunny area along my driveway. It grows extremely fast. For years I've been pulling it out but now it has spread to the point where pulling is not practical. I've heard that this may be creeping bent? Whatever it is, I want to get rid of it. Is there any product out there that would work selectively?View attachment 8466 View attachment 8467 I prefer to go with something "natural". I live in northwestern NJ. Photos attached.

OK, so here's a response from left field. You say you want "natural." What, exactly, is wrong with grass of a different color? Is there some sort of rule that grass must all be of the exact same color? I admit to having a bias against boring, sterile lawns, and to me "natural" and "boring and sterile" are at odds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you dug any of it up? From the pics it sure does look a lot like nutsedge. If you dig some up and there are peanut looking nodules then that is what it is.
I have been pulling this out for years and don't remember seeing any nodules at the roots. I'll check closely next time. Thanks,

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, so here's a response from left field. You say you want "natural." What, exactly, is wrong with grass of a different color? Is there some sort of rule that grass must all be of the exact same color? I admit to having a bias against boring, sterile lawns, and to me "natural" and "boring and sterile" are at odds.

When I say "natural", I'm referring to the method of removal. I have no problem with the color. It's the rate of growth. This stuff grows an inch a day. Looks more like the rough grass you see along the interstates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I can only suggest that you dig it all out making sure you remove the roots and then re-seed. Is it in your neighbours lawns too? If so you'll never be rid of it unless they do the same.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not positive, but that looks very similar to what is growing in my grandma's garden. It can be all pulled out and comes back as thick as it was before. Not sure what it is.

Ask a Question