Strange Growth

Reaction score
Country
Cambodia
Hi,

I have an indoor leafy green vegetable garden and am seeing some strange growth from some of my plants. This is happening mostly with bok choy and swiss chard see pictures below. The plant seedlings look like they start out ok and then main leaves start to grow far up the stem. They also grow really slowly. I don't think it is due to lack of light since the seedling do not get long and stringy. I have also tried changing soil with no luck. Other plants like Kale and Mizuna grow like weeds. I am at a complete loss and have no idea why this is happening so any help would be great. Use the link to see the photos

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3D18000E13A971EB!4547&authkey=!AF6zQCnp2K7b83U&ithint=folder,jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

They look ok to me, at least they haven't bolted, mine nearly always do here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I see what you mean, although the plants themselves look just fine. You say you're growing inside...perhaps the containers aren't deep enough?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The picture of your bok choy is not very clear and it looks okay to me. But when you say that growth is kinda slow then the soil may be wanting in nutrients. Try using fertilizers. But I know you may be an organic person so here is what you do. When you cook meat or fish, you wash them, right? That water you used to wash them is good fertilizer for that vegetable of yours. Try it.

Reaction score
Country
Cambodia
I see what you mean, although the plants themselves look just fine. You say you're growing inside...perhaps the containers aren't deep enough?
Thanks for the reply. I think the planter depth is ok. When I up rooted the plants the roots were only making it down half way. In total the soil depth is about 12"
When i first saw this happening i thought i just hadn't planted the seeds deep enough so replanted the seedling deeper. This didn't solve my issue.

Reaction score
Country
Cambodia
The picture of your bok choy is not very clear and it looks okay to me. But when you say that growth is kinda slow then the soil may be wanting in nutrients. Try using fertilizers. But I know you may be an organic person so here is what you do. When you cook meat or fish, you wash them, right? That water you used to wash them is good fertilizer for that vegetable of yours. Try it.

I thought it might be bad soil so completely changed it out with new Miracle Grow potting mix. I also used one of those home soil test kits, the fertilizer level were ok if not on the high side especially for the nitrogen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I thought they look ok to me since sometimes these were what bok choy looked when I bought them at the market. Could it too much sun or too much water? You have already tested the soil and fertilizer, so maybe the second harvest they will look normal then.

Ask a Question