Strange but interesting Hydrangea Bloom color

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
Planted a new hydrangea bush this year. The original soil was sort of weird as it contained green earth worms so the soil was dug out and replaced with a mixture of high quality garden soil and compost. The hydrangea's original blooms were a sky blue then over the past three month many blooms have change to a two color wine and cream colored bloom leaf. A sky blue bloom remains on the opposite side of the bush. This morning I pushed two rusty nail into the new color areas of the plants root system.

I would appreciate your feedback. Sorry, no photos are available at this time.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The colors sound beautiful, adding acid to the soil will change the color of the blooms. I lookforward to seeing pictures of the blooms. Hope the nails help to change the colors to what you are looking for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
The new colors are too muted. Actually not appealing. Hoping for vibrant colors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
Off the subject. Have you ever seen green earthworms or what would cause such?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
never seen green earth worms, or heard of them, interesting, but I probably would have not tossed that soil as worms do help move the soil around, and they do poop out good stuff for plants. So below is information regarding colors of hydrangeas , and I have 13 varieties. A couple blue, couple purple, some that start pink go to deep red, cream, and white. Some are no more than 4 foot tall and to one that is 20 foot tall and in between.

RE: Blue Hydrangea
Remember it is not just all hydrangens that are effected by Ph but only a select genus with in the class of Hydrangens.

Again read below:

Blue Hydrangea
This is pasted from Heronswood Nursery, my favorite Hydrangea source. Recall reading this years ago--point is only certain species of Hydrangea are affected by soil pH.

No matter their nativity, Hydrangeas in general are woodland understory plants and thrive in moist but well-drained soils amended with organic matter (humus, leaf mold, compost).
Most species tolerate a range of pH conditions. However, the H. macrophylla and H. serrata cultivars are unique for their flower color being determined by the relative acidity of the soil: a pH below 6 (acidic) will usually produce flower color closer to true blue, whereas a pH above 6 (more alkaline) will produce flowers more pink. Add aluminum sulfate to soil to make flowers bluer or add lime to soil to make flowers pinker (apply to plant root zone in late autumn or early spring). If your soil is already extremely acidic (pH 5.5 or lower) or extremely alkaline (pH 7 or above), it might be very difficult or impossible to change pH sufficiently to change the flower color of your hydrangea.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Off the subject. Have you ever seen green earthworms or what would cause such?

I've seen green earthworms and usually assume they are sick. I don't have the slightest clue of what causes it. Could be chemicals from fertilizers, could be a natural disease.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
never seen green earth worms, or heard of them, interesting, but I probably would have not tossed that soil as worms do help move the soil around, and they do poop out good stuff for plants. So below is information regarding colors of hydrangeas , and I have 13 varieties. A couple blue, couple purple, some that start pink go to deep red, cream, and white. Some are no more than 4 foot tall and to one that is 20 foot tall and in between.

RE: Blue Hydrangea
Remember it is not just all hydrangens that are effected by Ph but only a select genus with in the class of Hydrangens.

Again read below:

Blue Hydrangea
This is pasted from Heronswood Nursery, my favorite Hydrangea source. Recall reading this years ago--point is only certain species of Hydrangea are affected by soil pH.

No matter their nativity, Hydrangeas in general are woodland understory plants and thrive in moist but well-drained soils amended with organic matter (humus, leaf mold, compost).
Most species tolerate a range of pH conditions. However, the H. macrophylla and H. serrata cultivars are unique for their flower color being determined by the relative acidity of the soil: a pH below 6 (acidic) will usually produce flower color closer to true blue, whereas a pH above 6 (more alkaline) will produce flowers more pink. Add aluminum sulfate to soil to make flowers bluer or add lime to soil to make flowers pinker (apply to plant root zone in late autumn or early spring). If your soil is already extremely acidic (pH 5.5 or lower) or extremely alkaline (pH 7 or above), it might be very difficult or impossible to change pH sufficiently to change the flower color of your hydrangea.

How do I test the soil? Is there a kit? Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Again, not sure about the USA, but in Britain one can buy a simple soil acidity test kit from almost all Garden Centres for a few pounds. There are more expensive electronic ones, but unless you need to test the soil frequently I do not think they are worth the money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Big Lou, look up your county/state university extension Master Gardener program. You should be able to get your soil analyzed for free, or a nominal charge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
@Big Lou, look up your county/state university extension Master Gardener program. You should be able to get your soil analyzed for free, or a nominal charge.
I hate to say this but due to the size of the state of Texas the Extension Service does not provide on-site service. There telephone service is manned by master gardeners who will refer you to needed products and service providers. I will call them for the name of a recommended soil test kit. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question