Strange blisters on Friendship Sage stems

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just discovered strange blisters or bubbles appearing on one of the stems on my friendship Sage. They’re hard on the outer surface but when pressed they break easily and powdery on the inside. There are many of them on one stem. Photos attached.
I could not find anything about it on the internet. Does anyone know what they are? Assume some kind of disease... the plant needs to be transplanted in a bigger pot as it’s overgrown the current pot. Any tip on how to care for the bubbles would be much appreciated. Thanks !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What you have looks exactly like armored scale insects. However, I have never seen a powder on the insides of one. Have you sprayed the plant with anything lately. If so then they are dead. Look at the following link and see if it is the same thing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those are scale insects. If I were you I would cut the stems off at the bottom - all of them, and burn them. The plants will regrow as they are perennial.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chuck and Tetters, thank you! I cut the infested branch and removed some scales from the other branches that weren’t spread yet, and sprayed insect soap. There were tiny larvae inside some of the scales, but not in all of them. I will monitor it in the next couple of weeks to see if the scales come back. If yes, I may cut the rest of the stems.

thanks again!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just discovered strange blisters or bubbles appearing on one of the stems on my friendship Sage. They’re hard on the outer surface but when pressed they break easily and powdery on the inside. There are many of them on one stem. Photos attached.
I could not find anything about it on the internet. Does anyone know what they are? Assume some kind of disease... the plant needs to be transplanted in a bigger pot as it’s overgrown the current pot. Any tip on how to care for the bubbles would be much appreciated. Thanks !

Friendship Plant​

Oedema is a condition that develops when roots take up water faster than it can be used by the plant. When this happens, water pressure builds up in the internal cells of the leaves, causing them to burst, leaving dead cells that are visible as a blister. The primary symptom of oedema is an outbreak of these blisters on the undersides of leaves.

Here is the complete guide:

Also here is the video link:

Ask a Question