Strange “something” on Desert Rose leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! So I’ve been collecting desert roses for a little bit now, but definitely still learning how to care for them.
My one plant got spider mites for a while but I learned my lesson and saved it thankfully. But it taught me to be better about checking in on the leaves and having a look around on all my plants.
Well I’ve noticed now on two separate plants these hair follicle like things hanging off the underside of the leaves of two of my plants, anybody know what it might be?
FB92AFDD-82AD-4B72-BA45-C17BF1617950.jpeg
164FDA4A-4F95-4968-9416-08944BB28C4D.jpeg

This plant in particular was just growing like crazy and about to bloom about 6-8 flowers but randomly rejected about half of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi! So I’ve been collecting desert roses for a little bit now, but definitely still learning how to care for them.
My one plant got spider mites for a while but I learned my lesson and saved it thankfully. But it taught me to be better about checking in on the leaves and having a look around on all my plants.
Well I’ve noticed now on two separate plants these hair follicle like things hanging off the underside of the leaves of two of my plants, anybody know what it might be?View attachment 81502View attachment 81503
This plant in particular was just growing like crazy and about to bloom about 6-8 flowers but randomly rejected about half of them.
Congratulations. You are an expectant father of lacewings. Those are lacewing eggs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

For more context, the long-stalked eggs on your Desert-rose (Adenium spp., Apocynaceae) are the first stage in the life cycle of a Lacewing insect (Chrysopidae), in the Net-winged Order (Neuroptera).
Both the adults and larvae of many common species of Lacewing are voracious predators of Aphids (Aphididae) and other herbivorous insect pests. Encouraging lacewings and other predators is an important tenet of sustainable, organic gardening.
There approximately 85 genera and 1300-2000 species of Lacewings.

Last edited:

Ask a Question