Stephanotis is dying, help!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've had a Madagascar jasmine for about 5 years now or longer and it's been a lovey one. Only 1 year it didn't bloom. Last summer it was growing so well that it got twice the size. Summer in the UK was long and warm and suddenly got cold. Few days after it got cold outside, my Steph started to get yellow leaves. So now it has lost half of its leaves and each time I water it, it gets more yellow. When I don't water it, the leaves start drooping. So whatever I do it seems not very happy. Now sure what could be the problem, any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20210305_151654_169.jpg
    IMG_20210305_151654_169.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 361
Reaction score
Country
France
Welcome Jasi,
I do not actually like house plants in my home... so obviously no very little...I do appreciate there are some beauties and people do get a lot pleasure with them and that is great.
Logan's video is helpful and maybe give you some ideas...have got some Basil growing indoors though;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
When I’ve had the problem you describe I’ve had root rot from my careless watering or ordering plants through the mail. If you repot shaking off the old soil, any dead roots and replanting with good free draining new potting soil it might do better. When I’ve had this problem, after I’ve given it new soil and little or no water (soil should be moist but fluffy), I put it in a plastic bag and forget it as much as possible (in a bright window sill but not in direct light). Am rehabbing a plant currently and it’s been successful in the past.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Jasi and welcome to the forum :)

I like your choice of plant that`s for sure, when this one flowers it fills the whole house with perfume.

This is a tender perennial plant that needs lots of light, and sunshine to do well. The most important thing to do for it to re bloom now is to prune it hard. Get the secateurs out and give it a good chop over a bud - just leaving an inch or two of the old wood. All the flowers grow on the new stems and as Springtime approaches fast, this is an ideal time to do this. It would also be a good idea to add some feed to help it along a bit. I like to use Osmocote which is a very good slow release fertilizer, and will feed it right into summer time. A good drink when you`ve done this will get it started again (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As an afterthought. When you prune this plant, make sure you clean the secateurs well - preferably with bleach. When the tops are all cut you can use them for cutting material and make some more plants. Just cut cleanly below a node and leave a couple of buds on each, stick them around the edge of a pot, add water and maybe pop a plastic bag over with an elastic band to make a mini greenhouse - then wait for the roots to emerge.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Jasi and welcome to the forum :)

I like your choice of plant that`s for sure, when this one flowers it fills the whole house with perfume.

This is a tender perennial plant that needs lots of light, and sunshine to do well. The most important thing to do for it to re bloom now is to prune it hard. Get the secateurs out and give it a good chop over a bud - just leaving an inch or two of the old wood. All the flowers grow on the new stems and as Springtime approaches fast, this is an ideal time to do this. It would also be a good idea to add some feed to help it along a bit. I like to use Osmocote which is a very good slow release fertilizer, and will feed it right into summer time. A good drink when you`ve done this will get it started again (y)

Hello!

Thank you @Tetters . This has been helpful. I took the plant out of its old pot and it looked completely dry like sand. The roots were healthy luckily! I soaked it a bit in a clean water and then repotted it back with new Miracle gro houseplant peat free potting mix soil. The next day I could see the plant got a bit more life in its leaves This soil suppose to have all the great stuff in it enough for at least 3 months. So maybe I shall wait with the fertilizer for now?
I have now chopped off the long dry leafless sticks and put a plastic bag over the remaining plant. Hopefully it will be happier !
Thanks again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are welcome and I would really like to know how it gets on.....please :happy:

If I use ready made compost at any time (I like to make my own - peat based) I go for Jacks magic. It is generally one of the best I`ve found. The Osmocote slow release fertiliser that I mentioned before is really really good - something I discovered when I worked at the nursery. Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hello!

Thank you @Tetters . This has been helpful. I took the plant out of its old pot and it looked completely dry like sand. The roots were healthy luckily! I soaked it a bit in a clean water and then repotted it back with new Miracle gro houseplant peat free potting mix soil. The next day I could see the plant got a bit more life in its leaves This soil suppose to have all the great stuff in it enough for at least 3 months. So maybe I shall wait with the fertilizer for now?
I have now chopped off the long dry leafless sticks and put a plastic bag over the remaining plant. Hopefully it will be happier !
Thanks again
Why do you put a bag over it. Isn't it like sunlight a lot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why do you put a bag over it. Isn't it like sunlight a lot
They are likely using a transparent bag. Putting plants (cutting, seeds, etc.) in a plastic bag is an attempt to maintain high humidity. Sometimes this is useful usually more so with seed germination or the rooting of difficult cuttings, less often with an established plant as described above. However bagging plants can also encourage harmful molds and other fungal infections. Bagged plant should be monitored and removed form the bag when necessary for drying and fresh air circulation.

In any case, what is suggested is not good advice, do not bag a Stephanotis floribunda in the way described.

Ask a Question