Steam railway

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Being a small island we have no need for a modern rail service but the steam railway still runs through spring and summer, mainly for tourists. Below is Port Erin Station, the end of the line on the south-west coast. As you can see, inside it is still pretty much of the original era. :)

IMG_4182.JPG

The ticket office and waiting room
IMG_4179.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4173.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh, how cool! Did you take those photos? They're great.
About two miles from my house there's a county park which incorporates a faithfully re-created 19th century village, complete with paddle-boat tours on the lake and a narrow gauge steam railway. Also one of the oldest carousels in the US. It's kind of hokey, but a fun place to take visitors. At Christmas they decorate the train with about a million twinkly lights and also decorate the train ride route with lights and other Christmassy things.
http://www.geneseecountyparks.org/pages/huckleberry

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Smashing pics Sheal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gorgeous shots, @Sheal ! I would rally the town to preserve it as historical place, or is it already? Beautiful inside and out!

Reaction score
Beautiful pictures! Thanks a lot for sharing :) You got a really beautiful and picturesque town :) Qhat kind of camera are yo using? Your pictures are so beautiful and clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you everyone for your kind remarks. :) The railway system here is original and everything connected with it, trains, stations etc. have been maintained through the years. It first opened in 1874. So yes @IcyBC, it continues to run and is preserved for history. :)

Thank you @Trellum. I have two cameras but used a Canon 1100D for these photographs with a 250mm lens attached.

IMG_1051.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Gosh how lovely! Looks like you've stepped back in time, I love it when things like that are so well preserved. The steam engine looks very well loved by the people who run it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Becky. :) The island has preserved a number of it's historical features but at the same time some dreadful modern buildings have appeared in recent years, particularly housing unfortunately. :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Really interesting to see Sheal....a real step back in time and obviously really well looked after.
We have a well known steam train for the train enthusiasts here in Emerald Victoria called Puffing Billy but the station doesn't have the same charm as yours I must say.

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your kind remarks. :) The railway system here is original and everything connected with it, trains, stations etc. have been maintained through the years. It first opened in 1874. So yes @IcyBC, it continues to run and is preserved for history. :)

Thank you @Trellum. I have two cameras but used a Canon 1100D for these photographs with a 250mm lens attached.

View attachment 8127

Thanks a lot for sharing those details with us. I've always wanted a canon, now I know which one I'll buy next time I go camera shopping. Hopefully I get one this Christmas :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Deborah. :) It's strange, I've lived on the island 23 years and it's the first time I've taken any pictures of the transport here. We also have horse drawn and electric trams as well as modern buses.

Trellum, you'll have to write a letter to Santa. :)

Ask a Question