Stay in place fair for bussiness in the USA?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I do not really think they are fair from a garden centers point of view. Most of them in my area were just planting seeds for starts to gardners just as the virus hit China.

Here today garden centers as just garden centers are not allowed to open to the public, non essential. Yet bussiness such and Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, Walmart, Mijers which sell needed things, like things to fix a broken drain pipe for example remain open and all have garden centers. Some like Walmart & Mijers are open because they sell grocerys, they also have a garden center which are allowed open.

I do not feel that is fair to the garden centers as easy to maintain th e6 foot required at a garden center as it is at the big box stores allowed to stay open.
Well at least I will be able to go and by sets some place for my little raise gardens.

:D Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My local feed and seed is open. Not as much as a good garden center but you might find needed items.
,...and of course no the closings list is not fair to small business, not just garden centers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I get most all of my gardening supplies and seeds from my feed store, which is considered essential and therefore open. The owner said to me a week or so ago they are crazy busy with folks that never raised vegetables wanting to start vegetable gardening for the first time. Chickens, too, he sells laying chickens and sold 600-700 a week.

I don’t believe any dedicated garden stores exist any longer in my immediate area. It’s the big box HD types that are the only game in town.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The virus falls to the ground and gets on your shoes. PPE is proven to help protect but tracking it about is really challenging.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I would bet if any of those who are new to a veggie garden will let them go to weeds once called back to work.

Most gardeners know weed will quickly take over if yiu don't stay on top of the garden plot.

Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
It troubles me to see certain areas shutting down the sale of plants and garden supplies. I believe in a fundamental human right to farm. It can be supported safely even in a pandemic. This might not be temporary, and food security is job one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
It troubles me to see certain areas shutting down the sale of plants and garden supplies. I believe in a fundamental human right to farm. It can be supported safely even in a pandemic. This might not be temporary, and food security is job one.
Depends on location in the USA. some areas are not dense .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Ya every Tom, Dick, Harry, Mary, Jere and Susan should be able to go to a nursery and buy plants seeds and all the other things required to garden. Stand shoulder to shoulder and cough on others, handle pots and put them back for the next person to handle.

Never mind there are internet sites where you can order seeds, can buy live plants. But what is the fun of that, when you could be infected and not know your a carrier and spred this Covid 19 that has already killed so many the world over.

Sadly it isn't those who just must be out for non essential things who seem to catch the covid 19 and die. It is some older person, some one with a underlying condition.

Over half I bet once they are back to working 9 to 5 jobs will let the gardens go to weeds not wanting to take time away form their stupid golf game to pull the weeds.
All those baby chicks they are buying, a great deal will die because they haven't a clue how to care for them. even more will probably be turned into animal shelters because they won't want to take the time to care for them once back to work.

This world is about to change and not for the better, not that was all so good before with wars and such.
Mark my words we will have a second wave. just because people want to not stay home and 6 feet from other people.

Been out for grocerys in th elast two weeks? How many times have you had some one with out a mask breathing down your neck?

Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Me personally, I have enjoyed the slower pace. I am so used to the radical ups and downs of self employment over 3 decades that I must come across weird. I was really stressed out the first time I promise.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Fair? Targeting gun shops does not seem fair at all as some have reported has happened. Ticketing people attending outdoor church in their cars ala drive in style does not seem fair.

However, in general, I'd say its been fair. Local businesses here have adapted to deliveries, take-out, and even tele- medicine for my doctor...easiest doctor visit ever for me.

My local feed store is about the only place one can get timely seeds for the garden. I usually save my okra seeds from year to year but for some reason did not this year. Amazon and Park seeds wanted two-three months for seed...my local store has them readily available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Guns stores were a prime plce to shut down. the fools first time gun ownere were packing in the places. None wearing mask, none wearing gloves and standing shoulder to shoulder and handleing guns one person after another.
Made the world news the way they seemed not to care a whit about other people. Some older people, some with underlying conditions and all that.

My brither in law is 69 has a bad heart and all he wanted to do is use the indoor range and couldn't even get near the door for all th efools packed in the store.

Probably be a bunch of those first time owners who shoot them selves or some one else with a empty gun they were cleaning.

Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Guns stores were a prime plce to shut down. the fools first time gun ownere were packing in the places. None wearing mask, none wearing gloves and standing shoulder to shoulder and handleing guns one person after another.
Made the world news the way they seemed not to care a whit about other people. Some older people, some with underlying conditions and all that.

My brither in law is 69 has a bad heart and all he wanted to do is use the indoor range and couldn't even get near the door for all th efools packed in the store.

Probably be a bunch of those first time owners who shoot them selves or some one else with a empty gun they were cleaning.

Al
Saw that at the local hardware store about 4 weeks ago, a long line to either get a gun or apply for a gun.

Ask a Question