Starting Up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So, I am starting a backyard raised garden ... it's 4'x12'x12in high ... I am a complete beginner, living in north Texas

So far I have the box constructed, with 1/2 in hardware cloth to keep rodents from burrowing underneath and will be putting cardboard on the bottom, on top of the HW cloth (i'm told this attracts worms, which I apparently want). This garden should get about 7 hours of full sunlight per day.

I know I'm late getting started and I will probably only get one crop this year. I plan on raising primarily vegetables.

I plan to fill it to about 10in depth with quality organic soil. At my level of experience(I need simple!), I think it's probably best to go with something pre mixed, and (maybe?) mix in some varied compost with it.

So I've found some packaged soils I'm likely to settle on, which are:
--Miracle-Gro Raised Bed Soil (labeled 100% organic)
--Ecoscraps organic garden soil (orange bag)
--Natures care Organic raised bed soil
--(maybe) mix in some Just Natural organic mushroom compost and/or Happy-Gro 100% organic compost.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track here? If I do mix in some compost, what ratio should I consider? 10%

IMG_1288.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi! :)

Followed through from your intro thread.

I think you're on the right track, except no no no on the Miracle Grow. Or Gro. (I'm of the opinion, if they can't even spell "grow" why should l buy this.) And as I understand, after a few months Miracle Gro is sterile topsoil, and expensive at that.

Mixing in about 10 percent compost is a great idea. Once you plant your veggies, mulch heavily (really you do want to mulch, like 3-6") and by next spring it will have broken down and improved your existing soil greatly. Actually anything organic and plant based, from coffee grounds to vegetable peelings to wood chips and autumn leaves, will make your dirt more awesome. :)

As to actual soil, I get mine (as needed) from a local garden center that formulates it to work well in my region. It's about $7.00 for two cubic yards, I think, making it cheaper than most big brands.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As to actual soil, I get mine (as needed) from a local garden center that formulates it to work well in my region. It's about $7.00 for two cubic yards, I think, making it cheaper than most big brands.

Well, I haven't been able to find a local garden center with this type of soil. Are any of the packaged products worth using? I kind of need things as simple as possible right now ... I mean, I'm a pretty smart and capable guy, but I need to walk before I run ... I'm just trying to get plants to come up outta the ground that won't make me sick ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry, l didn't mean to imply you need fancy artisinal soil or anything! Just throwing that out as an alternative. Yes, I'm sure any of the packaged brands are just fine, just not Miracle Gro. ;)

Good luck and post updates on your progress! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sorry, l didn't mean to imply you need fancy artisinal soil or anything! Just throwing that out as an alternative. Yes, I'm sure any of the packaged brands are just fine, just not Miracle Gro. ;)

Good luck and post updates on your progress! :)

Thanks for your advice, I'll take it to heart :) ... OK, well actually I've considered using a blend of several organic raised-bed soils, sort of diversifying my soil portfolio as it were. I've also abandoned the idea of using the cardboard, I'm a little hesitant about the chemicals that may be present in it.

I'm also to given to understand that earthworms are totally my friends, and that I can attract them with a couple pounds of cornmeal sprinkled over the bottom of the bed, and on the top after it is filled.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cardboard would be fine, as long as it is not the slick, glossy kind they use for store displays. Preferably, get one or two boxes of corrugated cardboard and tear it into smallish chunks to scatter around the bottom of the bed. The earthworms will use the corrugations as nurseries and lay their eggs in them, giving you even more worms! (y)

Since you seem to be expressing a bit of doubt, yes, you do want earthworms, they really are totally your friends!! The more you have, the better your soil is. They help to aerate it and keep it from getting compacted. That makes it easier to dig and provides better water flow. They will give lots of worm castings, which is just a fancy way of saying worm poop. Worm poop is wonderful. They sell it by the bag, and if you look at the prices, you'll know why you want them in the garden. ;) http://www.ebay.com/bhp/worm-castings

I don't know that I'd bother with the cornmeal. :unsure: They love banana peels, pumpkin, and watermelon rinds. They have a sweet tooth, and prefer decaying fruit. They'll also eat sawdust. o_O They eat decomposing organic material. All the things Beth_B named would appeal to them. Basically, if it's dead plant, they want it. (Well, they don't like onions or citrus.) They have gizzards, like birds, so they need some kind of "grit" to aid in digestion. I use coffee grounds. You can use eggshells, but they need to be ground fairly fine.

It looks like you have a nice-sized yard. Are you planning to have a compost pile?

Welcome to the forum! :)

Ask a Question